Edward Schulz, CSDP
Firmware Applications Engineer at PMC-Sierra
- Allentown, Pennsylvania Area
|Recommendations||10 people have recommended Edward|
Join LinkedIn and access Edward's full profile. It's free!
As a LinkedIn member, you'll join 300 million other professionals who are sharing connections, ideas, and opportunities.
- See who you know in common
- Get introduced
- Contact Edward directly
Consistent top performer in a variety of data communications and pro audio product development roles. Embedded software engineer who actually enjoys direct customer interaction and writing project documentation. Experience spans all project phases from concept to delivery and support – including program management, systems engineering, digital logic design, and system test. Effective as solo developer, team member, or team leader. Does whatever it takes to deliver products that are functional, reliable, maintainable, and on time.
C / C++11 / XC language programming
Real-time operating systems
Structured / Object-oriented analysis and design
Interface protocols / drivers
Unix / Linux development tools
Eclipse IDE, Git, Subversion
Delighting enterprise storage customers, with focus on firmware.
Developed firmware for personal audio mixing system based on Ethernet AVB standards. Brought two products from proof of concept to production quality within six months, now shipping worldwide. Third product in beta test only two months after first hardware samples.
Applied skills include: XMOS multithreaded multicore programming, IEEE 802.1AS Precision Time Protocol, media clock recovery / synchronization, jitter buffer management, network protocol for discovery / configuration / control, audio signal processing, I2S / TDM interfaces to audio codecs and digital consoles, reliable firmware upgrade process.
Distinguished Engineer (top 2% of technical population)
Multi-Core DSP Software Developer:
- Primary technical contact for first customer of SP2603 multi-core media processor (in production).
- Planned, developed, and executed subjective and automated tests of media gateway echo canceller.
- Developed software tools for test automation: hybrid echo generator for capacity test; enhanced P.501 CSS generator; G.160 Gaussian noise generator; G.168 filters; signal analysis for power and delay.
- Developed Serial RapidIO driver and service for SP2704 media processor. Verified at wire speed across 8 DSP cores.
- Integrated and developed regression tests in LSI media gateway for echo canceller and RTCP protocol.
LTE Baseband Software:
- Studied 3GPP LTE standards through Release 10. Read books and papers on SC-FDMA, MIMO. Wrote papers proposing software architecture on planned basestation L1 SoC.
- Learned software development on Silicon Hive (now Intel) vector engines. Developed optimized matrix inversion module.
Network Processor Subsystem Validation:
- Developed bare-metal executive and driver software on dual-core ARM11MP to verify TDM and SPI interfaces of APP3000 network processor as they would be used to transport VoIP traffic. Validated on Cadence Palladium simulator, then in first silicon.
- Developed TDM PBX demo among FXS and FXO ports on LSI multi-service business gateway. Wrote serial driver including command-line editor and monitor program for demo.
- Ported PBX demo to validate new FXO phone line interface devices, now available on the market.
- Represented Agere / LSI in TIA TR-30 standards committee continuously for over 10 years.
- Standards editor for TIA-793, TIA-921, G.1050 network impairment models.
Consulting MTS (top 2% of technical population)
- Systems engineer for CSP1040 silicon phone-line interface. Researched, analyzed, and documented requirements. Led team through development, test, and field introduction.
- Specified requirements for SV92PP and SV92EX companion ICs for PCI and PCI Express modems, respectively. Sold over 100 million CSP1040 to date, plus millions of SV92PP and SV92EX devices.
- Primary technical contact for lead PC-OEM modem customer for over 10 years. Received customer recognitions and awards in this role. $50M/yr peak revenue.
Distinguished MTS (top 10% of technical population)
Acting Technical Manager for Modem System Test:
- Coached team of up to 13 members while continuing to make individual technical contributions.
- Built new PCM modem test lab from scratch, to enable effective testing of K56Flex, X2, and V.90 modems before any commercial network emulators were available.
- Performed extensive competitive assessment. Rapid test turnaround led to timely delivery of PCM modems to the market.
- Conceived, designed, equipped, and managed worldwide field test of first V.90 PCM modems. Uncovered product defects in time to repair, avoiding expensive post-ship rework.
- Extended test lab with all the world's V.92 digital server modems, crucial to prove inter-operation.
Program Manager for PCI Modem IC, First V.92 Modems:
- DSP1648C PCI modem shipped defect-free. Team won Bell Labs Silver President's Award.
- Lucent-based V.92 modems were the first introduced to market, a leap from previous “fast follower” status.
Other relevant expertise:
Developer, and then team leader, for series of transmission and data communications systems, all of which shipped to the field. Applied skills in logic design, microprocessor system design, C and assembler programming, customer support.
- C Language Programming
- Embedded Systems
- Real-time Programming
- Systems Engineering
- Structured Methods
- Object Oriented Design
- Linux development
- System Testing
- Logic Design
- Technical Communication
- Standards Development
- Data Communication
- Data Transfer
- Device Drivers
- Linux Kernel
- Digital Signal...
- Embedded Software
- Mixed Signal
- See 18+ See less
IEEE Certified Software Development Professional
Search by name
Over 300 million professionals are already on LinkedIn. Find who you know.
People Also Viewed
Experienced Engineer specializing in Signal Processing algorithm and embedded product development.
Senior Director Firmware Engineering at Synaptics
Software Engineer Recruiter at Aerotek Engineering
Patent Analyst at TPL/TechPats
Electrial Engineer | R&D Manager with extensive experience in Hardware Systems Development and Manufacturing
Director, System and Applications Enginnering at Avago Technologies
Mixed Signal Design Leader at PMC-Sierra