Social Media Specialist at Twilio, Inc.
- San Francisco, California (San Francisco Bay Area)
- Online Media
Ryan Crowe's Overview
- Social Media Strategist at Stealth Creative
- Social Media Director at Listener Approved LLC
- Russian Department Graduate Teaching Assistant at University of Missouri
- Technical Support Specialist at University of Missouri
- Social Media Manager at KimberMedia
- Account Coordinator Summer Internship at Caledon Virtual
- Social Media Strategist Internship at Print Ninja, LLC
- Bob Rohlf Education Intern at Starlight Theatre
- Lead Generation Specialist at Integral Resources Incorporated
Ryan Crowe's Summary
I am a digital media strategist with 6 years of experience.
My hobby, passion and profession is Digital Marketing with a special interest in Social Media using Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Wordpress, Blogging, Quora, YouTube, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Google+ and other emerging social and mobile platforms.
I manage a popular Google+ profile where I share user-enhancement information and advice and provide technical commentary on that same information. My current audience exceeds 385,000+ users. I was voted as one of the:
• Top 5 People to Follow on Google+ by Google+ users.
• Best Google+ Users to Follow by G+ users.
• Added to Google's official Suggested User List (US)
Specialties: Google Plus, Social Media management, Facebook, Twitter, Quora, Blogging, Foursquare, YouTube, emerging technologies, social media marketing, community management, Branding, b2b b2c strategies, copywriting, interactive marketing, digital media, Wordpress, networking, social media analytics, local search, Facebook Ads, Social PPC
Experience with: Radian6, Sprout Social, Oracle SRM Vitrue, Hootsuite, TweetDeck, Google Analytics, Google AdWords, Facebook Insights, Facebook Ads, YouTube Analytics, Twitter Ads, LinkedIn Ads, Sysomos Heartbeat, Schema.org markup
Ryan Crowe's Experience
Social Media Specialist
Privately Held; 201-500 employees; Internet industry
November 2013 – Present (1 year) San Francisco Bay Area
• Maintain Twilio’s social and online presence across multiple channels including Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Quora, and LinkedIn.
• Uncover new social channels and online communities relevant to the Twilio and developer community.
• Remain up-to-date on social trends, tools and best practices.
• Work with the demand generation team on campaigns to drive specific conversions around content and events.
• Work with the field marketing and developer evangelist team to coordinate promotional support needed for events and community programs.
• Respond to basic Twilio support inquiries online and coordinate with
Twilio Support on larger issues.
• Deepen our understanding of social performance and the metrics of successful social media campaigns.
• Define what our overall social strategy looks like and create programs around it
Director of Social Strategy
Nonprofit; Myself Only; Nonprofit Organization Management industry
December 2012 – Present (1 year 11 months) San Francisco Bay Area
I sit on the Board of Directors and am the Director of Social Strategy at The LittleBigFund:
The LittleBigFund is an online nonprofit organization that collects small charitable donations to form a large fund. At the end of every month the fund is given to a nonprofit, determined by donor vote, in a highlighted category each month.
• Manage and train community manager
• Consult with CEO/Board on Social Strategy
• Manage social media with Sprout Social
Social Media Strategist, Auditor
Self-Employed; Myself Only; Marketing and Advertising industry
March 2008 – Present (6 years 8 months)
Clients have included individuals looking to build their brand image, tech startups, musicians, a mobile gaming startup, NPOs and small business owners.
• Audit existing social media properties
• Provide recommendations based on audit
• Highlight opportunities for improvement, enhancement
• Oversee strategy implementation
• Aid in implementation
• Educate client on sustaining a successful strategy, and the implementation of that strategy
Social Media Strategist
Privately Held; 11-50 employees; Marketing and Advertising industry
October 2011 – November 2013 (2 years 2 months) Greater St. Louis Area
• Partner with internal Analytics and SEO teams to integrate optimized keywords and measurement strategies to effectively manage and optimize both long and short-term social media efforts
• Research and work with various social monitoring tools, develop social media audits to identify brand and competitive discussions to inform social media and content strategy
• Establish agency's social media tools, create procedural documents and valuation tactics for assessing social media successes
• Active client-facing role, responsible for providing strong conceptual and strategic direction and clearly presenting those ideas to client
• Educate and present to internal teams to develop agency awareness and to aid in integrating social strategy with traditional media and creative efforts
• Work with content optimization strategists to develop data driven content strategies and editorial calendars.
• Develop and grow agency's digital and social capabilities.
•Collaborate with internal new business team to identify potential social media clients; I provide pitch-strategy on leads that I qualify as appropriate business targets
•Established agency blog, I consult employees on how to blog, develop and maintain an editorial calendar, established a blogging process. I also optimize and edit blogs for social sharing.
•Developed social video seeding strategy for web reality series ‘The Edge of Farming’
•Provide strategy for and manage Social PPC campaigns using Google Analytics, Facebook Ads, and LinkedIn Ads.
Have added to regular social media capabilities:
social sentiment monitoring, community management, social analytics reporting, social content management and creation, social networking architecture, gamification tactics, and internal social networking consultation/management within 3 months.
Social Media Director
Privately Held; 1-10 employees; Music industry
December 2010 – February 2013 (2 years 3 months)
• Built out social media profiles on all major platforms
• Acted as community manager
• Managed online presence for new start-up using social media resources including Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, and Quora.
• Developed and wrote content for blog using WordPress
• Developed and fostered relations with artists
• Monitored social impact using Google Analytics, Facebook Insights, and BackType
• Collaborated with CEO to develop Social Media strategies and implemented those strategies.
Russian Department Graduate Teaching Assistant
Educational Institution; 10,001+ employees; Higher Education industry
August 2010 – May 2012 (1 year 10 months) Columbia, Missouri Area
• Lead weekly lectures and discussions for 40+ students
• Planned and implemented collegiate-level curriculum on topics including: Russian literature, music, culture, intellectual thought, and history.
• Assigned and graded student essays based on a pre-set rubric and subjective personal analysis
• Taught reading and writing techniques, close visual and textual analysis.
• Monitored student progress and provided personal advising by holding office hours
Technical Support Specialist
Educational Institution; 10,001+ employees; Higher Education industry
January 2009 – February 2012 (3 years 2 months) Columbia, Missouri Area
• Supervisory position
• Was a part of a Support Specialist team
• Trained new hires "proteges", as a mentor, in company policy, and procedures like: customer relations, basic troubleshooting skills, computer maintenance (PC and MAC) and monitored their competency in the implementation of these procedures.
• Wrote weekly reports on proteges.
• Provided technical support to students and faculty over the phone and on-site visits. Technical support includes but is not limited to; printer, hardware, and software malfunctions on both PC and MAC.
• Attended software update and training meetings. The trainings I attended included but were not limited to: Photoshop, Interview skills and Customer Service enhancement.
Social Media Manager
Partnership; 1-10 employees; Marketing and Advertising industry
March 2011 – November 2011 (9 months)
• Contract position
• Managed 4 business' social media accounts.
• Created, planned and implemented social media strategies that ranged from 6mos-12mos for client
• Disseminated content on behalf of the client companies
• Acted as the voice of client companies
• Created and taught social media workshops to client company employees.
• Manage and create content for the KimberMedia blog
• Used ActiveCollab to interact and organize KimberMedia activities with other KimberMedia employees
• Maintained relationships with Clients and kept them updated on the status of their social media presence (weekly).
• Monitored client social media analytics
Account Coordinator Summer Internship
Partnership; 1-10 employees; Marketing and Advertising industry
May 2011 – August 2011 (4 months) Columbia, Missouri Area
• Oversaw the design of website elements based on clients' specifications.
• Planned and designed advertisements using Adobe Photoshop CS5
• Digital advertising copywriting was incorporated into my responsibilities
• Coordinated website projects (such as implementing WordPress plug-ins) with international creative and technical teams.
Social Media Strategist Internship
Privately Held; 11-50 employees; Printing industry
April 2011 – August 2011 (5 months)
• Worked in concert w/ KimberMedia position
• Designed, implemented, and managed PN community engagement models
• Worked closely with CEO to research and consult on active community acquisitions
• Wrote community guidelines and protocols
• Monitored and inspired community engagement
• Designed and implemented user incentive program
• Created a consistent social media strategy across social platforms including but not limited to: Facebook, YouTube, LinkedIn, Quora, Twitter, and the PN Blog
• Monitored and reported findings from social analytics platforms
Bob Rohlf Education Intern
Nonprofit; 11-50 employees; Performing Arts industry
May 2009 – August 2009 (4 months)
• Researched and Developed Programs for “At-Risk” Youth in Kansas City Area, programs were designed to allow children living in areas of poverty to be able to access and express themselves through the arts.
• Created and edited highlight videos for Starlight Stars winners using iMovie
• Advocated for the creation of a Development Internship successfully, partook in that new position by researching and writing grant proposals with the VP of Development.
Lead Generation Specialist
Integral Resources Incorporated
September 2008 – February 2009 (6 months)
• Generated leads for charitable and political organizations
• Researched and retained knowledge of clientele mission statements and program goals
• Developed, implemented and presented strategies to effectively raise funds for individual clients
• Converted leads into donors using these strategies
• Retained past supporters by giving them new and compelling reasons to renew support
Ryan Crowe's Courses
Social Media Strategist
- Social Network Analysis, Coursera, University of Michigan
- Game Theory, Coursera, Stanford
- SEO Fundamentals, Lynda
- Model Thinking, Coursera, University of Michigan
- Foundations of Business Strategy, Coursera, University of Virginia
- Competitive Strategy, Coursera, University of Munich
- HTML/CSS, Codeacademy
Ryan Crowe's Projects
- August 2012 to Present
The Edge of Farming is a web reality series that is driven by a robust social media presence, SEO, PPC and traditional broadcast advertising. I play several roles within the campaign, I act primarily as the social media strategist, social media manager and community manager.
In addition to my primary functions, I run the FB display ads for the campaign, collaborate with our creative team on asset development (visual content for our social platforms and also social skinning), act as an assistant web analyst for the Edge of Farming microsite, and consult with our SEO/SEM staff to create a consistent brand image.
The Edge social presence: www.facebook.com/theedgeoffarming | www.youtube.com/theedgeoffarming
- February 2012 to Present
Wide Open West, a mid-sized cable provider bought out Knology, another mid-sized cable provider. I developed a three phase brand transition social media strategy and campaign. The purpose of the campaign is to introduce Knology customers to WOW, acclimate them to their new provider and then convert those customers into loyal WOW customers. The strategy is to be implemented by WOW internally.
- July 2011 to Present
I run a high-profile Google+ account where I provide tips and commentary to other G+ users (currently, I have ~339,000 Followers). My passion for doing this is based on my love for Google products and enhancing the user experience for other Google users. I was endorsed by Google when they put me on their Suggested User List in the Fall of 2012.
Currently I run and moderate several Communities within Google+ including:
Social Media Professionals and Social Media Strategy, combined they equal a professional community of 1,200+ members.
- July 2011 to December 2012
Sociolog+ was a project aimed at building a social network community that fosters education, collaboration, reciprocation and support. Currently, the site stands to serve as my personal blog.
- May 2010 to Present
Where artistic creation and listener response meld to form the sound of eternal revolution.
Ryan Crowe's Skills & Expertise
- Social Media
- Social Media Marketing
- Social Networking
- social media strategy
- Social Networking Sites
- Social Networking Strategy
- Google Plus
- Corporate Blogging
- Blogger Relations
- Blogger Outreach
- Non-profit Communications
- non-profit social media
- Copy Editing
- Website Copy
- Advertising Copy
- Campaign Strategy
- Social Communication
- Social media analytics
- University Teaching
- Social Media Measurement
- Digital Media
- Online Social Networking
- Google Analytics
- Community Management
- Web Analytics
- Political Campaigns
- Online Marketing
- Online Advertising
- Brand Development
Ryan Crowe's Publications
Ryan Crowe's Languages
English(Native or bilingual proficiency)
Russian(Limited working proficiency)
Ryan Crowe's Education
MA Russian and Slavonic Studies, Literature, Language, Culture, History
2010 – 2012
Activities and Societies: Russian Club, Phi Sigma Pi - Alumni Advisor
BA Theater, BA Russian, Performance, Literature, History, Culture
2007 – 2010
Phi Sigma Pi - Elected Executive Board positions: Recruitment Advisor, Initiation Advisor.
I currently serve as Alumni Advisor
Activities and Societies: Phi Sigma Pi - National Honor Fraternity, Mizzou Men's Choir, STANDMizzou
Theater, Improvisation, Script Writing
2005 – 2007
Ryan Crowe's Additional Information
Social Media, Social Media management, Facebook, Twitter, Quora, Blogging, Foursquare, YouTube, emerging technologies, social media marketing, community management, Branding, b2b b2c strategies, interactive marketing, digital media, Wordpress, social media analytics, web analytics, Adobe Photoshop, Google Analytics, Facebook Insights, AdWords, PPC, SEO, SEM, markup languages, schema.org
- Groups and Associations:
Phi Sigma Pi - National Honor Fraternity, Social Media Club, Russian Club at University of Missouri
- Honors and Awards:
-Selected for Official Google+ Suggested User List, for North America
-Selectee of Bob Rohlf Internship at Kansas City Starlight (2008),
-Executive Board Positions with Phi Sigma Pi - National Honor Fraternity
-Dean's List at University of Missouri
Ryan Crowe's Volunteer Experience & Causes
Causes I care about:
- Human Rights
- Science and Technology
Organizations I support:
- The LittleBigFund
Contact Ryan for:
- career opportunities
- consulting offers
- new ventures
- job inquiries
- expertise requests
- business deals
- reference requests
- getting back in touch