Middle East Broadcasting Networks
Director, Digital, MBN (BBG)
Director of Digital at MBN: online strategy, social media, community building, senior leadership, visual storytelling
|Recommendations||23 people have recommended Davin "Hutch"|
Join LinkedIn & access Davin "Hutch"'s full profile
Director, Digital, MBN (BBG)
Davin Hutchins is an award-winning journalist, digital strategist, video producer, strategic communicator specializing in the Middle East, international social issues, environmental issues, media training, social media engagement, digital products and agile project management. He has a solid track record in defining digital strategy, product launches and overseeing restructuring of legacy organizations.
Currently, Hutchins is Director, Digital at Middle East Broadcasting Networks which includes Alhurra and Radio Sawa. In the past two years, Hutchins launched a new digital division of more than 30 employees including restructuring and talent acquisition. He helped define long-term digital strategy in the Middle East for the BBG including serving as team lead on the Alhurra news app, Radio Sawa music app, major website redesigns and Syria Stories - a website featuring diaries from Syrian civilians. During his two-years, he increased website and app visits by more than 400% and helped grow the flagship Facebook communities from 900,000 to 9,500,000 fans.
Before this, Hutchins was Managing Editor of Middle East Voices at Voice of America / BBG where he conceived of an Arab Spring social journalism site covering grass-roots democratization in the Middle East. The site won the Topical Reporting category in the 2012 Online Journalism Awards (ONA) beating CNN and the New York Times.
In 2009-10, he was Director of IndiesLab at PBS and ITVS helping documentary filmmakers earn revenue and audience from iTunes, Amazon, Netflix and Hulu.
Hutchins has worked for and with CNN, CNN International, PBS, ITVS, BBC World, Headline News, TechTV, Witness, Internews and Huffington Post. His projects have taken him across the Middle East and Africa.
Among career highlights, Hutchins directed The Art Of Flight in 2004-05, his feature documentary debuted at AFI Fest Hollywood, International Documentary Festival Amsterdam and Bangkok International Film Festival.
DIRECTOR, DIGITAL, MIDDLE EAST BROADCASTING NETWORKS (BBG)
July 2012 - Present
- Launched MBN Digital division of more than 30 employees including restructuring and talent acquisition; trained journalists on writing engagement content, headlines, social media promotion
- By creating engagement content, increased website and app traffic by 400% to 2.25 million monthly; increased Facebook followers 1000% to 9,500,000 fans
- Supervised Managing Editor, Assignment Editors, Reporters, Social Media team in producing original news and digital projects for an Arabic audience on Alhurra.com and RadioSawa.com
- Helped define long-term digital strategy for MBN senior management, the Executive Board and Congress
- Projects: Launched web video department using iPhones, DSLR, Final Cut Pro X; team lead on responsive overhaul of main websites; team lead on Radio Sawa Music Lifestyle App for iPhone and Android
- Focused writing team on mission-oriented including religious diversity, women's rights and climate change
- Conceived and designed responsive, social journalism website (middleeastvoices.com) devoted to the Arab Spring
- Site won its category in the 2012 Online Journalism Awards (ONA).
- Covered Egypt presidential runoff in Cairo using iPhone, Twitter, Instagram, DSLR Camera for #egyptdecides campaign, reached hundreds of thousands
- Designed and implemented social media strategy leveraging iPhones, Twitter, WordPress, Tumblr, Ushahidi and Facebook to expand news coverage, crowdsource news
- Supervised a dozen reporters, stringer correspondents to produce web articles, essays, data journalism, participatory journalism
CAIRO, EGYPT; DUBAI, UAE; WASHINGTON D.C.
-- Clients: The Aspen Institute, DAI, U.S. State Dept., Knight Commission, Indego Africa, The Conservation Fund, Dragonfly Expeditions, Investigative Reporting Workshop, American University
-- Directed the The Art of Flight, a documentary about Sudanese refugees in Egypt - International Documentary Festival Amsterdam (IDFA), AFI Fest Hollywood, Bangkok International Film Festival - Initially distributed by Seventh Art Releasing
-- 2005 - 2006 - Produced commercial advertising video projects: Dubai Holding, Dubai Industrial City, Dubai International Film Festival with budgets in excess of $100,000 Clients: Leo Burnett, Impact/BBDO, & McKinsey
- 2006 - Composed and released The Art of Flight - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack in June 2006 - http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/art-flight-original-motion/id151822421
-- 2002 - 2007 - Produced print and video news features for IRIN News, BBC World, WGBH Radio's The World, Travel Today Egypt, Business Today Egypt, Egypt Today
- Designed master promotional and windowing strategy to help ITVS and Independent Lens producers navigate the traditional public media model to the digital marketplace
- Maximized digital brand, promotion, and revenue opportunities for Independent Lens and independently produced documentaries on iTunes, Amazon, Hulu, Netflix, SnagFilms, PBS Video
- Designed seminar and conducted working groups for print journalists, bloggers, university students and television producers in Syria and Jordan on new media trends,
- Worked with the U.S. Embassies in Amman and Damascus to deliver 2 to 3 presentations per day to dozens of Arab media professionals
- Taught graduate level students in the Department of Communication in video journalism, new media, interactive website about guns and gun culture in America
- Managed nine video reporters and produced investigative video reports on the Iraq War, clean coal and coal ash, immigration and the 2008 presidential campaign
- Hutchins' reports aired on Huffington Post, Talking Points Memo, Democracy Now, CNN, Al Jazeera English
- Spearheaded development on core website functionality utilizing open-source Drupal, Brightcove, YouTube, Democracy In Action CRM software
- Produced reports from conception to original HD videography on Final Cut Pro
- Covered 2008 Presidential election
- Video reports tallied more than 2 million views
- Project funded by Schumann Center For Media and Democracy (Bill Moyers)
-- Trained Palestinian broadcast journalists in photography, non-linear editing skills, writing skills, programming development, workflow and video publishing on the Internet
-- Completed four intensive tours training stations in Ramallah, Nablus, Jericho, Hebron and Bethlehem to coordinate for common programming initiatives; three in 2007-8 & one in 2009
-- Taught multiple stations to use peer-to-peer technology to transmit TV quality video across the West Bank to avoid checkpoint delays
-- Co-designed website in open-source Joomla to showcase Internews work and Palestinian programming to the world
-- Consulted on "Forgotten Chords" - Palestinian documentary that opened the Al Jazeera Television Festival
-- Produced news pieces for TechTV, a basic cable network (50 million households) devoted to technology news (owned by Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen at the time)
-- Part of Tech Live launch – 8 daily hours of news; coordinated with Washington, New York and Seattle bureaus
-- Produced reports on dot-com collapse, tech industry layoffs, venture capital, clean tech, online business models, Sept. 11, entertainment technology
CABLE NEWS NETWORK - CNN
CNN INTERNATIONAL / HEADLINE NEWS, WRITER / PACKAGE PRODUCER
- Wrote stories/packaged reports for half-hour newscasts at Headline News - 1999
-Coordinated with producers in Berlin, London, Hong Kong and Atlanta for new regionalized morning and primetime newscasts and interviews for CNN International – 1997 - 1999
CNN NEWSROOM, FIELD PRODUCER / REPORTER
-Reported and field produced feature stories from Kuwait, Iceland, New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Atlanta, North Carolina, Florida, Montana, Utah and Colorado for CNN Newsroom - 1997 - 1998
-Wrote and edited packages on: international travelogues, digital technology, independent filmmaking, human rights
CNN USA, ASSOCIATE PRODUCER
- Supported executive producer, line producer for newscasts; began career as script ripper and satellite feeds coordinator
- Produced a freelance Hi-8 video news series from Kuwait
Here is a showcase of Hutch's multimedia and innovation work since 2006.
Graduate Coursework: Islam In International Politics, Human Rights In The Middle East, Middle Eastern Politics, Economic Development In The Middle East, Independent Study in Documentary Filmmaking, Comparative Religion
INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL/WORK EXPERIENCE: Egypt, Sudan, United Arab Emirates, Syria, Israel, Palestine, Lebanon, Turkey, Kuwait, Jordan, Oman, Kenya, Tanzania, South Africa, Thailand, Indonesia, Iceland, France, Britain, Denmark, the Netherlands, Italy as well as locations throughout the United States
English (Fluent), Modern Standard Arabic (Advanced), Egyptian Arabic (Spoken)
Activities and Societies: Undergraduate Coursework - Modern Middle East History, Modern European History, Modern Germany, Modern Russia, World Wars I & II, Comparative Religion, History of Journalism, Television and Newspaper Production Other Activities: Writer / Executive Editor of Insight University Paper, Joe Alex Morris Journalism Internship in Kuwait (National Council on U.S.-Arab Relations), Dow Jones Copy Editing Internship at the Modesto Bee, Dateline NBC / Now with Tom Brokaw Internship in Washington D.C.
Online News Association (ONA) award (Topical Reporting Large) for Arab Spring blog Middle East Voices - 2012
CINE Golden Eagle 2013 - Syria Stories - Alhurra TV
Two Superior Accomplishment Awards at VOA - 2012
Official Selection - AFI Fest (Los Angeles) - 2005
Official Selection - International Documentary Festival Amsterdam (IDFA) - 2005
Official Selection - Bangkok International Film Festival - 2006
National Council on U.S. Arab Relations Fellow in Kuwait - 1996
Over 300 million professionals are already on LinkedIn. Find who you know.
Director of Global Strategy, BBG
General Manager Radio SAWA/General Manager MBNDigital at Middle East Broadcasting Networks
Director of Digital Strategy at Voice of America
Director, Digital Publicity and Media Relations at National Geographic Channel
Digital strategist, content manager, creative writer and investigative reporter
Director, Digital Audio/Video Products and Strategy
Vice President for Network News at Middle East Broadcasting Networks
NEWS ANCHOR at ALHURRA TV/ MBN
President at Middle East Broadcast Networks