Database Administrator at TUSD
- Tucson, Arizona (Tucson, Arizona Area)
- Computer Software
Dan Newton's Overview
- Database Administrator at TUSD
Dan Newton's Summary
* Extensive database administration and SQL coding, focusing on SQL Server data extraction, transforming, and loading (ETL) as well as automation of data handling.
* Experienced with all aspects of transforming data into business intelligence (BI) with various reporting suites.
* Have successfully managed employees in the database / business intelligence areas.
Dan Newton's Experience
Educational Institution; 5001-10,000 employees; Education Management industry
June 2014 – Present (4 months) Tucson, Arizona
Privately Held; 51-200 employees; Computer Software industry
April 2012 – June 2014 (2 years 3 months) Tucson, Arizona Area
August 2013 to June 2014
Database Services Specialist
April 2012 to August 2013
* Working with SQL Server 2008 and 2012 Integration Services (SSIS). Major points involve variable data sources and logins, decrypting passwords, looping through servers, variables, shredding recordsets, and logging results and errors.
Sr. Computer Systems Architect
Public Company; 10,001+ employees; RTN; Defense & Space industry
January 2007 – April 2012 (5 years 4 months) Tucson, Arizona Area
Sr. Computer Systems Architect -- Supply Chain
March 2009 to April 2012
* Create reports and dashboards with Xcelsius and Crystal Reports. Use SAP Business Explorer (BEx) Query Designer as data source.
* Help with flow, validity, automation, and presentation of information.
* Investigating new reporting formats such as Silverlight (using Visual Studio 2010, Deep Zoom, and PivotViewer).
* Administrator of Kinaxis RapidResponse - supply chain management and operations management software.
Business Intelligence Analyst -- IT
January 2007 to March 2009
* Perform a variety of data warehouse reporting functions.
* Develop and modify corporate reports; verify information integrity; and design BI dashboards, scorecards, charts / graphs, drill-downs, and dynamic reports.
* Knowledge areas include data marts, reporting, OLAP design, and analytics.
* Use Oracle 10g, Oracle Discoverer, Toad, Cognos, and Informatica.
August 2006 – January 2007 (6 months) Tucson, Arizona Area
* Led move in migrating Coplink database from SQL Server to Oracle 10g and 9i. Converted by hand 40,000 lines of SQL code, covering 280 stored procedures and 80 functions, moving from T-SQL to PL/SQL.
* Main tools used were Toad and SQL*Loader.
Principal Database Administrator
Privately Held; 51-200 employees; Health, Wellness and Fitness industry
March 2002 – August 2006 (4 years 6 months) Tucson, Arizona Area
* Led move to new data warehouse format and indexing, decreasing query time and size of databases. Critical project since tables contained up to 150 million records each.
* Created back-end data-marts for Business Intelligence dashboards for use with Business Objects and SQL Server Reporting Services.
* Automated all data importing/exporting to DTS/SSIS packages and stored procedures.
* Set up all database maintenance and backup/restoration processes.
* Managed small team of one junior database administrator and two report developers.
Public Company; 5001-10,000 employees; OTEX; Computer Software industry
1999 – 2002 (3 years) Tucson, Arizona Area
* In charge of data migration project for new company-wide Customer Relationship Management (CRM) program with 360+ users. Moved all automated triggers to SQL Server.
* Maintained SQL Server databases - performed operations such as optimizations, backups, standardization, data transformation services (DTS), and data scrubbing.
* Instituted snapshot replication between business sites, created decision-support database to free resources of live database.
* Created users and maintained security, both Windows based and SQL Server based.
Program Developer / Database Programmer
Arizona Mail Order
July 1997 – September 1999 (2 years 3 months) Tucson, Arizona Area
* Created productivity tracking program in Visual Basic which allows management to comprehend exactly what 260 customer service employees accomplish during any time period. This allowed for clearer understanding of productivity, problem areas, and accurate goal setting, which has led to completely revamping employee evaluation.
* Created OLAP just-in-time inventory planning system to help plan inventory levels and needs.
* Trained 30 users on aspects of databases such as report running, importing of data via SQL and Visual Basic from AS/400, Call Management System, and data entry.
* Managed one data-entry employee.
June 1996 – July 1997 (1 year 2 months) Tucson, Arizona Area
* Oversaw database management for entire call center. Created databases, reports based on need. Ensured databases were properly maintained and data was accurate.
* Tracked monthly productivity of 240 employees using multiple databases and CMS.
* Interpreted report data, made recommendations to improve operating efficiency.
Public Company; 10,001+ employees; T; Telecommunications industry
June 1993 – June 1996 (3 years 1 month) Tucson, Arizona Area
* Responsible for researching, compiling statistical reports to summarize call center's productivity by using Call Management System, Excel, Access.
* Responsible for reporting on four programs with roughly 200 telemarketers on a daily/weekly/monthly/project-to-date basis.
Dan Newton's Skills & Expertise
- SQL Server
- Stored Procedures
- Star Schema
- Database Design
- Business Intelligence
- Data Warehousing
- Crystal Reports
- SAP BI/BW
- Web Intelligence
- Social Media
- Web 2.0
- Healthcare Information Technology
- Data Mining
- Market Basket Analysis
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Disaster Recovery
- Software Project Management
- Program Management
- Database Administration
- Visual Studio
- SQL Tuning
- Visual Basic
Dan Newton's Certifications
Microsoft Certified IT Professional ﴾MCITP) - SQL Server 2005
- License A368-0006
- June 2006
Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist ﴾MCTS﴿ - SQL Server 2005
- License A368-0007
- March 2006
Microsoft Certified Database Administrator (MCDBA) - SQL Server 2000
- License A229-9218
- June 2001
Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP)
- License A229-9215
- January 2001