Senior Software Engineer at CSIRO
- Information Technology and Services
Jacobus Kloppers's Overview
- Senior Software Engineer at CSIRO
- Senior Software Engineer (JavaEE) at Landmark Software
- Java Contractor at Postilion
- Senior Java Developer at Juta Law
- University of South Africa/Universiteit van Suid-Afrika
- University of Pretoria/Universiteit van Pretoria
- Obsidian Systems – Professional Training, Johannesburg
Afrikaanse Hoër Seunskool, Pretoria
Jacobus Kloppers' Summary
My enthusiasm, inbuilt customer-focus and the creative problem-solving skills are what that sets me apart from other senior software engineers. It is also the key attributes that have been instrumental in my employers’ product successes and customer loyalty throughout my career.
Wherever I work, even when I don’t aim to, I seem to have a knack for becoming the “go to” person that others refer to for help and assistance. Part of it is due to my determination where missing “impossible” deadlines or failing to surpass customer expectations is not an option. Whatever it takes, I find myself mastering the technology, or learning the ropes, or understanding the customers’ needs—sometimes even before they recognise it themselves!
Of course, having the vision and the determination are only half the requirements of my role. A solid knowledge of existing and emerging technologies, the ability to comply with best practice standards and agile software development for optimum product and version releases, and the willingness to return to the beginning if that means the best product will be delivered—all play a substantial part of my professional make-up.
Experience and skills:
• Experience in design and development of Java/J2EE/PHP and GUI based systems.
• Technical Lead and end-to-end Project Management experience
• Solution architecture of big data integration systems
• Delivery of SOA solutions
• Solid background in Object-Oriented analysis and design and use of UML modelling.
• Experience in agile development methodologies like Scrum/KANBAN
• Experience in Telecommunications sector, Electronic Publishing sector, Security/cryptography, Financial/Banking sector and science sector
• Balanced exposure between backend and front-end development.
• Thrive in client facing and pressure situations.
• Goal and deadline orientated.
Jacobus Kloppers' Experience
Senior Software Engineer
Government Agency; 5001-10,000 employees; Research industry
July 2010 – Present (4 years 3 months) Tasmania, ICT Centre
My current role as senior software engineer, at CSIRO based in Hobart, has given me exposure to the development of software systems in multiple projects. Some project highlights include:
1. A Laboratory Data Integration Platform based on a service architecture that facilitates information capturing and exchange within a computational chemistry laboratory. I was project manager / team lead for a group of 3 developers and 2 scientists and was responsible for the design and architecture of the messaging platform. I also contributed to the software development of the system and implemented all the critical RESTful web services using a JAX-RS compliant syntax in Java.
Technologies used: Agile approach utilising KANBAN board in Jira, Mavin, Jenkins, RabbitMQ, Java, RESTful web services, Grails
2. The development of a prototype real-time water information system with provenance management as a key feature.
Technologies used: LaTeX for authoring scientific material, Semantic Web Technologies (RDF/OWL), RESTful Web Services based on JSON, Java, Grails, MongoDB, UML Modelling and design, Agile development methodology
3. Project and technical lead to establishment a research cloud infrastructure node to deliver basic compute and storage capabilities. The cloud node uses the OpenStack cloud platform and is comprised of two nodes: one in ACT and one TAS each providing ~100CPU cores, ~300GB of RAM and ~20TB of drive storage. The primary purpose of the ICT Research Cloud is to support cloud computing related research, but its compute and storage resources can be utilised by other projects that can benefit from them.
Technologies used: OpenStack Cloud building software, Puppet configuration management and automation, Python scripting, Git version control, Ubuntu/Linux, DELL Server Management
Senior Software Engineer (JavaEE)
Privately Held; 11-50 employees; Information Technology and Services industry
September 2009 – July 2010 (11 months)
Landmark Software was formed in 1981 to develop an accounting system designed specifically to suit Australian business conditions. Landmark has been successfully implemented in a range of organisations spread over thirty different industries. Ann White and David Field, the original authors of Landmark, are still in charge of all product development and maintain an active day to day involvement in the company.
Public Company; 1001-5000 employees; SONE; Computer Software industry
July 2008 – August 2009 (1 year 2 months)
Java Developer for DVT contracting at Postilion
I spent two and half months in the USA (Atlanta, GA) doing on-site support for Postilion in the hosted services department. Some of the main focus areas were assisting the implementation specialists, getting quicker turnaround on critical customer issues and migrating legacy customer to the new system.
Normal day to day duties within postilion:
* Develop new features on the Postilion banking and payments system.
* Write Functional Specifications based on Functional Requirement Specifications.
* Maintenance development and bug fixing on existing Postilion software.
Senior Java Developer
Privately Held; 201-500 employees; Publishing industry
October 2006 – July 2008 (1 year 10 months)
I joined Juta Law as a Java developer and soon got promoted to Senior Java Developer. I was tasked to address the following areas:
• product offering
• content format and standards
• content structures
• production processes
My role at Juta and Company evolves more around managerial and analysis requirements. I’m currently leading a small team consisting of a Senior Java developer, web administrator and Perl developer. However I do assist in the Java development efforts and report directly to our Department Managing Director.
The purpose of the development efforts are to adopt XML as an open standard for all content that currently resides in a propriety format called Folio. Strong emphasis is placed on XML technologies like XSD (XML Schema), XQuery, XPath and XSL. All systems delivered are developed in Java with an IBM DB2 database used for persistence.
December 2006 – March 2007 (4 months)
South African Launch of AgentPoints http://www.agentpoints.co.za/
I was consulting to SureTravel, www.suretravel .co.za, and implemented additional components on a travel agency royalty scheme system called AgentPoints. SureTravel acquired the code base from the UK affiliate and needed to customize the code for the South African market. I’ve established a deployment plan, installation guide and also undertook various new requirements that need to be implemented on the PHP code base utilizing MS SQL Server 2003 and Apache web server.
A successful hand-over was done in April 2007.
Public Company; 1001-5000 employees; VRSN; Information Technology and Services industry
November 2005 – October 2006 (1 year)
Contact position: technical team leader, developed internal automation systems, improve the Thawte on-line offering.
Projects successfully completed:
* Content Management System to facilitate regular press releases on the Thawte web site. The system included features like multiple authors, workflow, approval and online publishing of documents. Technologies leveraged include PHP, AJAX, XML, XSL and JIRA.
* Thawte hosts Cryptography competitions via a web site portal to generate more leads. A content management module was implemented to automate online entrants to immediately know if they won a competition and capture personal information. Technologies leveraged include Java, JBoss, StrutsCX, Hibernate, MySQL, XSL/XSLT, XML and Eclipse.
* The Thawte web site is designed using XML, XSLT and XPath technologies. a PHP build system was implemented that allowed non technical team members to generate a build and deploy the Thawte web site to a hosting server.
Public Company; 1001-5000 employees; ITL; Telecommunications industry
April 2004 – November 2005 (1 year 8 months)
Java Contract position. Had specific focus on partner accessibility and connectivity with the core Intec systems.
Projects of particular interest:
* A SOAP-XML application program interface was implemented that exposes the backend wholesale billing software owned by Intec. This allowed partners and vendors to take advantage of the core functionality offered by the billing software on program interface level. Technologies leveraged include JSOAP, XML, Eclipse, CORBA (JacORB) and TIBCO Rendezvous.
* Implemented a web-based Partner Relationship Management console utilizing the SOAP-XML application program interface. This allows partners to view real-time reports over the Internet and customize report rendering and exporting. An administrative module for configuration and deployment was implemented. Technologies leveraged include JSF (Java Server Faces), Tomcat, Servlets, OpenJMS, CORBA (JacORB), Oracle 10g Reports, XSLT, JDOM, XML, Maven and CVS.
ISIS (Pty) Ltd. Information Systems
April 2003 – April 2004 (1 year 1 month)
Employed as a software developer I was tasked to completely redesign and implement a new Customer Call Center Management console for Vodacom’s call center. Particular focus was given on faster access and improved navigation. The new module also brought together the functionality of three different systems that was in use before.
The call center operator now had a single web-based entry point that will enable them to do integrated customer care and real-time provisioning on the Vodacom network.
January 2002 – February 2003 (1 year 2 months)
SecureWorx is a supplier and developer of network security systems. Employed as a Java developer I got involved in various projects related to Embedded Software Design and Embedded Programming for the security appliances.
Control routines and web based configuration modules formed the main focus area for developing embedded software for the network security systems.
Technologies leveraged include Java (Swing), CVS, JBuilder, Linux, UML, Bash/ Python Scripting, UML.
Privately Held; 11-50 employees; Information Technology and Services industry
November 2000 – December 2001 (1 year 2 months)
SevenC is a small startup business with interest in software development, hosting and Linux/Unix system support/administration. I was employed mainly as a Java developer but partly got involved in system administration because of my interest and knowledge in Linux/Unix.
Projects of interest:
* PBMR (Pty) Ltd - http://www.pbmr.com/ contracted SevenC to implement a 2D & 3D Image Processing and Visualization (Rendering) component for the nuclear reactor simulator software they have coded in Fortran. I was tasked with designing and implementing the required module in Java. Technologies leveraged inlcude Java (Swing), VisAD (Open source Rendering API), CVS, Forte For Java, Linux, XML, UML.
* A service contract awarded to SevenC tasked me to do general server maintenance on a Solaris operating system and monitoring performance running large Oracle databases.
Network System Administrator
Waterkloof Primary School
June 2000 – December 2000 (7 months)
While studying at the University of Pretoria I did some part time work as a systems and network administrator for a primary school. Regular tasks included setting-up new email-users, Samba access to the server and implementing security measures.
Jacobus Kloppers' Languages
Jacobus Kloppers' Skills & Expertise
- Java Enterprise Edition
- Software Development
- Web Services
- Agile Methodologies
- JBoss Application Server
- Online Publishing
Jacobus Kloppers' Education
Certificate Course, Project Management in Information Technology
2004 – 2004
B.Sc. (IT), Information Technology
1998 – 2000
Activities and Societies: Majors: Database Systems, Programming Languages, Artificial Intelligence, Network Management, Informatics, Mathematics, Software Design
Obsidian Systems – Professional Training, Johannesburg
Certificate Course, Linux Essentials: Fast Track
1999 – 1999
Afrikaanse Hoër Seunskool, Pretoria
Senior Certificate, Graduated with B average and University Endorsement
1991 – 1995
Activities and Societies: * Subjects: Afrikaans (HG), English (HG), Mathematics (HG), Biology (HG), Computer Science (HG), Science (HG), Additional Mathematics (HG) * Awards: School Prefect – 1995, Deputy Team Captain - Athletics - 1995
Jacobus Kloppers' Additional Information