Independent consultant specializing in solar PV project development, performance engineering, and due diligence
- San Francisco Bay Area
- Renewables & Environment
Mark Stout's Overview
- Managing Member at StoutPower Consulting, LLC
- Director, Project Development at Meridian Energy, USA, Inc.
- Vice President, Renewable Technology at Cleantech America, Inc, a Meridian Energy Company
- Executive Committee Member at San Joaquin Valley Clean Energy Organization
- Clean Energy Cluster Chair at Economic Development Corporation serving Fresno County
- Board Member at Central Valley Business Incubator
- Board Member at Operation Clean Air
- Senior Solar Power Consultant at Unlimited Energy
- Coordinator, Fresno Solar Tour at Northern California Solar Energy Association
- Public Utilities Regulatory Analyst at California Public Utilities Commission - Office of Ratepayer Advocates
- Air Quality Engineer at San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District
- Renewable Energy Consultant at Union of Concerned Scientists
- Senior Systems Software Design Engineer at Cirrus Logic
- Systems Engineer at Compaq Computer
Mark Stout's Summary
Mark Stout is a senior energy professional with over 15 years in solar power, utility regulatory, and high tech engineering positions.
Mr. Stout stays current on PV solar technology and maintains industry-wide procurement relationships. He applies years of experience with solar project capital cost estimating, from distributed generation to utility-scale. Mr. Stout is an expert on renewable resource data in US, and played a lead role in defining resource measurement standards for Meridian Energy USA's meteorological monitoring equipment.
During graduate work at the UC Berkeley Energy and Resources Group, Mr. Stout interned at the Union of Concerned Scientists, campaigning for the California Renewable Power Portfolio Standard, which was signed into law in 2002. He later worked as a Public Utilities Regulatory Analyst with the CPUC Office of Ratepayer Advocates.
Mr. Stout began his career in computer hardware, firmware, and software development. As an R&D Engineer at Compaq Computer, he played a leading role in the cost reduction and specification of a single-chip, high-fidelity audio codec, which attracted multiple manufacturers and has been widely deployed. As a Senior Systems Software Design Engineer at Crystal Semiconductor, he then went on to develop the device drivers to bring this audio codec to market.
Mr. Stout graduated Summa Cum Laude in Electrical Engineering from the University of Illinois - Urbana, and earned his Master's degree in Energy and Resources from UC Berkeley.
Mark Stout's Skills & Expertise
- Renewable Energy
- Land Acquisition
- Environmental Permitting
- Project Management
- Cost Estimating
- Equipment Procurement
- Power Generation
- Energy Policy
- Government Relations
- Legislative Advocacy
- Power Project Development
- Solar Energy
- Electrical Engineering
- Solar Power
- Environmental Awareness
- Energy Efficiency
- Climate Change
- Power Plants
- Business Development
- Project Estimation
- Program Management
- Feasibility Studies
- Project Finance
- Electricity Markets
- Energy Conservation
- Proposal Writing
- Distributed Generation
- Utility Regulation
Mark Stout's Experience
StoutPower Consulting, LLC
October 2013 – Present (1 year) San Leandro, CA
Effective, independent consultancy specializing in solar PV project development, performance engineering, and due diligence for project M&A.
Summary of Qualifications:
• Over ten years of solar PV project and utility regulatory experience
• Over 840 MWac of solar PV project experience, including development and operational stage
• Full life cycle DG and utility project development from origination to operation
• Capital cost estimation and financial modeling on dozens of currently operational PV projects, from distributed generation to utility-scale
• Expert knowledge of solar resource data and PV energy generation modeling (PVsyst)
• Progression of transmission level interconnections through utility/ISO process
• Land use and environmental permitting experience (including CUP and CEQA)
• Substantial project experience with solar resource and generation telemetry
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills; prodigious networker
Please email me for a free consultation: firstname.lastname@example.org
Director, Project Development
Meridian Energy, USA, Inc.
May 2010 – November 2013 (3 years 7 months) Pleasanton, CA
· Led project development team for three 20 MWac PV projects in Kings County, CA,
focusing on power marketing, permitting, and interconnection.
· Managed production of fourteen utility RFO proposals.
· Predicted generation using PVsyst 4.x/5.x. Work with module, inverter, and tracker
manufacturers to ensure components are accurately defined in PVsyst model.
· Selected and configured data room for company sale process. Responded to technology,
solar resource, and commercial due diligence requests.
Vice President, Renewable Technology
Cleantech America, Inc, a Meridian Energy Company
March 2007 – May 2010 (3 years 3 months) Fresno, CA and Pleasanton, CA
Accomplishments in development of utility-scale PV projects:
- Ran government relations campaign to generate support for CPUC approval of the 5 MWac CalRENEW-1 in Mendota, CA, the first utility PV PPA in history of the California RPS.
- Initial business development that lead to execution of an 80 MWac PV Master Agreement with Kings River Conservation District. At announcement, this was the largest PV development in the world.
- Land acquisition of multiple project sites. Now supporting work of Land Director.
- Identify, evaluate and recommend financeable suppliers of module, inverter, racking/tracker, electrical BOS, and telemetry/SCADA technology.
- Power generation modeling using PVsyst. Work with module, inverter, and tracker manufacturers to ensure components are accurately defined in PVsyst model.
- Ensure PV inverter manufacturers develop GE PSLF files as required by CAISO and other grid operators. Referred major manufacturers to power engineers for inverter PSLF development.
- Represent at CAISO interconnection scoping meetings.
- Develop electrical capital cost estimates from PV modules through inverter. on fixed and tracker options.
- Author technology, solar resource, and forecasted production sections on all utility RFP proposals. Editor on utility RFP proposal with large, overseas partner. Ensured on-time submission in a compressed timeframe with inputs from many time zones.
- Ran EPC RFP process for 5 MWac PV project with transmission level (70kV) interconnect. Supported EPC pricing negotiations to meet stringent project capital cost requirements.
- Ran RFP process, and administering contract, for metering, meteorology, and telemetry on CalRENEW-1 project. Technical contact for development of SCADA system.
- Administered multiple engineering contracts for multiple projects, ranging from design to commissioning.
Executive Committee Member
San Joaquin Valley Clean Energy Organization
January 2007 – May 2010 (3 years 5 months)
- Served on pre-organization committee that defined the board of directors, created the non-profit, and secured seed funding.
- Three years later it has a growing team staffing regional energy programs, contracts to support dozens of local municipalities in deploying Federal/California energy stimulus funding, and an annual budget in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.
- In April 2010, the San Joaquin Valley Clean Energy Organization received an "Environmental Hero" award from Southern California Edison.
Clean Energy Cluster Chair
Nonprofit; 11-50 employees; Civic & Social Organization industry
December 2006 – August 2009 (2 years 9 months) Fresno, California Area
Key Areas of Focus
- Promote and connect the local clean energy industry through online exposure and regular meetings/events
- Promote Fresno County as an ideal location for clean energy technologies
- Enhance clean energy opportunities between and throughout other industries
Nonprofit; 1-10 employees; Management Consulting industry
January 2007 – February 2009 (2 years 2 months)
Water/Clean Energy Technology Center focus
Senior Solar Power Consultant
Privately Held; 11-50 employees; Renewables & Environment industry
2005 – 2007 (2 years) Fresno, California Area
- PV energy generation and financial modeling
- Commercial and government sales
- System monitoring configuration
Coordinator, Fresno Solar Tour
Nonprofit; 1-10 employees; Renewables & Environment industry
2005 – 2006 (1 year) Fresno, California Area
- Won the "Best New Solar Tour 2005" award.
- 160 participants on first Fresno Tour.
Public Utilities Regulatory Analyst
Government Agency; 501-1000 employees; Utilities industry
2001 – 2001 (less than a year) San Francisco Bay Area
- Worked with clean energy coalition to promote passage of Renewables Portfolio Standard (RPS) legislation. Developed analysis for supporting our agency’s endorsement of the RPS.
- Researched and documented value and operations cost of utility transmission grids in response to request from CA Legislature. Documented cost-effectiveness of energy efficiency programs.
Air Quality Engineer
Government Agency; 201-500 employees; Government Administration industry
1999 – 2000 (1 year) Fresno, California Area
- Documented District’s Rate of Progress towards Clean Air Act standards attainment.
- Researched and analyzed economic feasibility of implementing solar energy system for District headquarters.
Renewable Energy Consultant
Nonprofit; 51-200 employees; Renewables & Environment industry
1996 – 1996 (less than a year) San Francisco Bay Area
- Represented UCS in CPUC Renewables and RD&D Working Groups. Advocated in Working Group meetings and Senate hearing. Author of UCS position in Working Group reports based on analysis and feedback from renewables team members.
- Campaigned to build state legislative support for Renewables Portfolio Standard.
- Updated UCS web site to include latest deregulation campaign information.
Senior Systems Software Design Engineer
Public Company; 1001-5000 employees; CRUS; Semiconductors industry
1993 – 1995 (2 years) Austin, Texas Area
- Developed DOS and Windows 95 audio drivers in C and Intel ‘386 assembler.
- Enhanced MPEG audio decompression firmware for digital signal processor (DSP).
- Represented Crystal in Video Electronics Standards Association (VESA) Audio Interface working group in defining VESA BIOS Extensions/Audio Interface 2.0.
Public Company; 10,001+ employees; HPQ; Information Technology and Services industry
June 1990 – December 1993 (3 years 7 months) Houston, Texas Area
- Developed and debugged enhancements to DOS and OS/2 NetWare client network interface card (NIC) drivers using Intel ‘X86 assembler. Enhanced drivers passed Novell certification on first attempt. Authored extensive end-user documentation.
- Developed DOS/Windows multimedia applications and digital signal processor code using C, assembler, and Windows Software Development Kit on PC and UNIX platforms.
- Represented Compaq in Interactive Multimedia Association (IMA), co-authoring Recommendation for Standardized Digital Audio Interchange Formats, published in IMA Compatibility Project Proceedings, May 1992, which was broadly adopted by industry players.
Mark Stout's Projects
Team Members: Mark Stout, Jake Rudisill, Bill Barnes, Bill Overholt, James Tsui, Shaun Cornelius, Rana S. Mookherjee, , Murray Hill, Guy Waipara
- March 2007 to Present
The 5 MWac CalRENEW-1 Solar Farm in Mendota, CA was the first utility PV PPA under the California RPS and the first CAISO interconnected PV facility. In mid-2014, CalRENEW-1 was sold to SunEdison's and included in their TerraForm Power (TERP) yieldco for TERP's IPO.
Team Members: Mark Stout
- January 2008 to Present
This PV project can accommodate a buildout of 150+ MWac over several phases. Our team established site control, through purchase and purchase option, of a 946 acre site adjacent to the Xcel Energy San Luis Valley Substation. I played key roles in solar resource analysis, PV technology selection, and energy prediction, then was the final editor for our first utility PPA proposal from this site. After we had been acquired by Meridian Energy, I was on the project development team, which submitted a transmission interconnection request to Excel Energy, which led to a favorable Feasibility Study Report. In May, 2012 we secured a HB 1041 utility/IPP land use permit from Alamosa County.
In August 2014, the Alamosa County Board of Commissioners approved the transfer of this HB 1041 land use permit to a SunPower project entity, for use by the Hooper Solar Farm. SunPower has a 52 MW PPA with Xcel Energy (Public Service Company of Colorado) for Hooper Solar Farm.
Mark Stout's Courses
- CEC - Intermediate Photovoltaic System Design and Installation Workshop, taught by Bill Brooks, PE (Fall 2005)
- PG&E Pacific Energy Center - Basics of PV Systems for Commercial Grid-Tied Applications (Spring 2006)
- Solar Power International conference sessions (2006-2010, 2012-2013)
Mark Stout's Education
Mark Stout's Organizations
Solar Energy Industries AssociationStoutPower Consulting, LLC is a Solar Services & Consumers Division member. Meridian Energy/Cleantech America was a Utility-Scale Solar Power Division member.
- June 2007 to Present
Solar Electric Power AssociationMeridian Energy USA was a Utility-Scale Solar Industry Member
- November 2007 to December 2013
Institute of Electrical and Electronics EngineersPower & Energy Society member
- December 2013 to Present
American Solar Energy SocietyProfessional Member
- August 2006 to Present
Northern California Solar Energy Association
- February 2005 to Present
Casa Grande Homeowners AssociationTreasurer
- July 2012 to Present
Mark Stout's Additional Information
- Honors and Awards:
Northern California Solar Energy Association - Best New Solar Tour 2005