Carlos A. Covarrubias
Principal consultant at COVA Networks
- Laredo, Texas Area
- Information Technology and Services
Carlos A. Covarrubias's Overview
- Seasonal Field Instructor at The SAGE GROUP
- Principal consultant at COVA Networks
- Field Technology Officer at U.S. Department of Homeland Security
- Sr. Systems Analyst at International Bank of Commerce
- Business Systems Consultant at FISERV Lending Solutions
- Director Logistics Systems and Engineering at FIERA.COM
- Region IT Systems Manager at United Parcel Service
- IT Manager at UPS Supply Chain Solutions
- N. Laredo Institute of Technology
Carlos A. Covarrubias' Summary
Information Technology and process Consultant for a broad range of sectors: Government / Retail Banking / Mortgage Banking / 3rd party Logistics / Computer Software / Manufacturing
Project Management and Operations Management of IT Departments
Logistics systems / Financial Systems / Banking Systems / Process Engineering / Brokerage systems / International (LATAM) business experience / Computer Networks infrastructure
Carlos A. Covarrubias' Experience
Seasonal Field Instructor
June 2007 – Present (7 years 5 months) Laredo TX
Field Technology Officer
Government Agency; 10,001+ employees; Government Administration industry
September 2007 – October 2011 (4 years 2 months) Laredo TX
•Provide on-site IT customer support functions for daily operation of Border Patrol and Office of Field Operations systems as part of Field Support group, office of information technology.
First FTO in the Sector to achieve cross-training of OBP and OFO systems support, including cargo and passenger lanes.
•Support of Windows Active Directory, Novell Directory Services, LAN Infrastructure, Printing, Scanning, Enterprise Backup, Radiation monitoring, Cargo brokerage, Intel, and enforcement systems within Sector
• Provide deployment and 1st respondent disaster support on a volunteer and project basis.
• Currently mentoring other FTO's in different OBP and OFO systems.
Sr. Systems Analyst
International Bank of Commerce
August 2002 – September 2007 (5 years 2 months)
Applications Systems Analyst
•IT and Business Processes analysis
•Corporate-wide deployment and support of Banking Systems for Departments such as: Teller lines, Accounts Payable, General Ledger, Trust, Shareholders, Wire transfers, Letters of Credit, Document Imaging, Loan Origination, Loan Servicing, Human Resources, Surveillance, etc.
•Technical Support of Corporate Back Office infrastructure running Business-Critical Applications. Local SQL Server 2000, 2005 and Sybase 9 DBA responsibilities for assigned systems. Stored procedures and DTS packages development and implementation.
•Served as technical mentor for PC technicians assigned to the Laredo area.
•Corporate reporting design, implementation, and support using Crystal Reports and SQL Views.
•Audit Support for internal and external (FDIC) IT and Functional auditors.
•Document Imaging system (Wausau) implementation, training, and support.
Business Systems Consultant
Public Company; 10,001+ employees; FISV; Information Technology and Services industry
March 2001 – November 2001 (9 months)
• Pre-sales support and analysis of requirements for technical sections of Request for Proposals, executing technical requirements gap analysis and resulting proposals.
• Deployed and supported Fiserv systems for customers and MBA Conferences / Expositions. This systems use RDBMS, MTS, Web, application, middleware, and RAS servers.
• Technical support to external clients for system sizing, deployment, and migration.
• Technical support to Sales team and management of Unifi live demo system.
• Support for remote access to the demo system via VPN and Thin clients.
Director Logistics Systems and Engineering
2000 – 2001 (1 year)
E-commerce/ E-logistics start-up in Argentina, México, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, PR, Spain and US
Supervisor: John F. Maldonado
Director, Logistics Systems and Engineering
• Management of daily operations, strategic planning, and budget for the Industrial Engineering and Business Systems team in the region.
• Re-engineered and documented business processes before the systems integration.
• Managed the Implementation of localized ERP, WMS, and CRM systems in the region.
• Designed and implemented processes to interface Front-End with Back-End systems
• Headed development of online International Logistics Cost Calculator
Region IT Systems Manager
Public Company; 10,001+ employees; UPS; Transportation/Trucking/Railroad industry
September 1997 – March 2000 (2 years 7 months)
• Management of daily operations, strategic planning, and budget for the Systems department.
• Implemented technical operations, including network, access control, security, telecommunication, and Internet security systems.
• Implemented and managed RF-enabled Warehouse Management Systems and CAD stations.
• Re-engineered the Mexican accounting IT system, raising the efficiency by 40%.
• Achieved Year 2000 and disaster recovery planning approval.
• Setup, implemented, and supported an international service and repair operation for CISCO.
• Development and Implementation of a Dispatch and Transportation Management System.
Public Company; 10,001+ employees; UPS; Logistics and Supply Chain industry
1997 – 2000 (3 years)
Management of daily operations, strategic planning, and budget for the Systems department.
Implemented technical operations, including network, access control, security, telecommunication, and Internet security systems.
Implemented and managed RF-enabled Warehouse Management Systems and CAD stations.
Re-engineered the Mexican accounting IT system, raising the efficiency by 40%.
Achieved Year 2000 and disaster recovery planning approval.
Setup, implemented, and supported an international service and repair operation for CISCO.
Development and Implementation of a Dispatch and Transportation Management System.
Carlos A. Covarrubias' Languages
Carlos A. Covarrubias' Skills & Expertise
- Project Management
- Director of IT Operations
- Logistics and SCM execution systems
- International Management
- Technical Training
- Pre-sales Technical Support
- Process Improvement
- Business Systems Implementation
- Enterprise Software
- Regional IT Manager
- ITIL Knowledge
- Homeland Security
- International Business Experience
- Financial Systems Implementation
- Retail Banking
- mortgage origination and servicing systems
- Enterprise Backup
- Enterprise Business Intelligence / Report development
- SQL Server 2005/2000
- Sybase SQL Anywhere
- Oracle SQL
- Windows Server
- Windows 7
- Team Leadership
- Technical Support
- Active Directory
- Microsoft SQL Server
Carlos A. Covarrubias' Education
N. Laredo Institute of Technology
B.S., Electronics/ Industrial Engineering
August 1984 – June 1988
Carlos A. Covarrubias' Additional Information
Contact Carlos A. for:
- career opportunities
- consulting offers
- job inquiries
- reference requests
- getting back in touch
View Carlos A. Covarrubias’ full profile to...
- See who you and Carlos A. Covarrubias know in common
- Get introduced to Carlos A. Covarrubias
- Contact Carlos A. Covarrubias directly