On sabbatical from high-tech, slacking...
|Recommendations||2 people have recommended Brian|
Join LinkedIn & access Brian's full profile
San Francisco senior web application architect, connoisseur in open source Java technologies and experienced in agile methodologies, player-coach / hands-on technical manager.
Specialties:Software architecture, consumer web apps, Java, relational databases, open source tools/libraries, object oriented analysis/design, internationalization, project management, software development effort estimation.
Random things I didn't get to do much before, and taking way too many courses on MOOCs:
1. Intro to AI by Sebastian Thrun and Peter Norvig, completed, pre Udacity
2. Machine Learning by Andrew Ng on Coursera, completed
3. AI for Robotics by Sebastian Thrun on Udacity, completed
4. How to Build a Start-Up by Steve Blank on Udacity, partial completion
5. Intro to Theoretical Computer Science by Sebastian Wernicke on Udacity, completed
6. Algorithms by Michael Littman on Udacity, completed
7. Functional Programming Principles in Scala by Martin Odesky on Coursera, completed
8. Global History since 1760 by Philip Zelikow on Coursera, completed
9. Intro to Digital Sound Design by Steve Everett on Coursera, completed
10. ADHD Through the Lifespan by Anthony Rostain on Coursera, completed
11. Jazz Improvisation by Gary Burton on Coursera, completed
12. HTML5 Game Development by Colt McAnlis and Sean Bennett on Udacity, completed
13. Interactive 3D Graphics by Eric Hanes on Udacity, on-going
14. Intro to Psychology by Susan Snycerski, Greg Feist and Lauren Castellano on Udacity, on-going
15. Justice by Michael Sandel on edX, on-going
16. Duolingo Spanish, on-going
... enrolled in a dozen more waiting for the courses to start ...
Someone should give me another degree already :-)
Also worked on web animated comics for my boys, taught ukulele at my son's school fund-raiser, play in a mom and pop band in Palo Alto School of Rock, practice Taichi, tried Crossfit, enrolled in a gym, working on my 99 years old dad's biography with my niece...
... still devising hack schemes to make lots of $$$ with Java, Groovy and cunning at Team Money!
Note 9/25/2013: For those who come to view my profile regarding the alleged "hacking" story, here's my response http://bit.ly/190GJ2f
It was an exhilarating ride as the engineering manager for this nascent but wildly successful product area at Linkedin. However, family life must take precedence so I scaled back to individual contributor role.
Tech lead on the Revenue Team in charge of Subscriptions, Jobs/Applications, Customer Service, and Corporate Solutions.
* Led team and actively participated in development - questions/answers review queue, customer support administration, reusable job posting credits, automated account closure, automated subscription level change, internationalization, automated group management, corporate solutions portal...
* Participated on open source projects such as Groovy on Grails and AppFuse evaluated/used on projects
* Interviewed, recruited and helped build Revenue engineering team
Job board with both public and members-only sections, specializing in Bay Area startup positions. Reviewed favorably by FastCompany and TechCrunch. My responsibilities:
Interviewed, recruited and manage engineering team. Participate in critical business decisions.
* Planning & Process
Estimated effort to manage scope and timeline. Established process based on agile methodologies.
* Architecture, Design & Development
Driven by requirements, budget and team skill-set, conducted technology evaluation, prototype and selected Spring, JSP+JSTL, Hibernate and Postgres as architecture foundation.
Led team to deliver robust, highly scalable and feature-rich product in less than 4 calendar months. Continuing to innovate and rapidly deliver new functionality.
Hosting provider evaluation and selection. Ongoing release planning and execution, capacity planning and production support.
Natural language search engine start-up using semantic indexing and rules to divine user intent . Clients included Yahoo, Paypal, Bank of America, Honda, and BEA. Contributions included:
Designed and led effort to develop support for major European and East Asian languages, which helped to win key customers such as PayPal.
* Profiling and Optimization
Led effort to address performance and resource issues for large content volume bounded by memory limitation. Using and extending open source profiling tools, refactored key modules to enhance performance by 20% and significantly reduced memory usage.
* Distributed Processing
Designed and implemented clustering that improved scalability, performance, and overall robustness. Evaluated and contributed to various open source JMS projects.
* Professional Service and QA Support
Supported professional service and QA engineers with challenging customer environments e.g. app server integration
E-business system integrator spun off from Ernst and Young. Hired as architect responsible for driving Weblogic's platform adoption in the company. Direct report to CTO.
Evaluated partners Weblogic and Documentum's product suite and technologies.
Independent consulting practice.
As system architect for the e-business system integrator, I lead teams from project conception to launch, overseeing all technical areas including product/service evaluation and vendor selection, infrastructure design and build-out, application design and development. Conduct formal estimation used for project planning, plan and execute system testing including fail-over and stress-testing.
Engagements include boats.com, UBS, Hewitt Associate, MVP.com etc.
As technical architect for one of the pioneers of N-tier client/server architecture and JAD/RAD, I lead and guide projects from prototype to production, and mentor techical staff members.
Engagements include: Charles Schwab, Ryder, Pacific Gas and Electric, Hewlett Packard, etc.
I have worked on manufacturing automation systems and pioneered the use of unix and relational database in HP singapore. I have also worked in the R&D lab on internationalization of HP windows printer drivers for the Asian market.
As a contract developer on Microsoft Redmond campus, I have designed and developed MS Schedule+ version 1.0 for Macintosh, one of the early workgroup network calendaring products - the forefather of Outlook Calendar!
Comic book series to help my boys learn Chinese
"Guan Joo Heng Long" - life story of my father, the centenarian Mr Guan Bian-Leng, patriarch of the Guan family in Malaysia and Singapore. His life story reflects the last 100 years of turbulent world history, and chronicles the struggle of one family to survive and prosper under trying times.
Executive Director at ICBC Financial Leasing Co., Ltd
Tax Manager at Salesforce.com
San Francisco Bay Area
Sr. Layout designeer at Nvida
San Francisco Bay Area
Student at University of Southern California
Greater Los Angeles Area
Sales Associate at Foot Locker
Toronto, Canada Area
Information Architect | User Experience Designer
Advising High-Potential Startups, Nonprofits, and People
Broadcast Media Professional
on a well deserved break...
Principal Software Engineer at Google Research
Manager, Web Development
Vice President of Engineering, Consumer Products at LinkedIn
Events & Operations Manager
Founder and Managing Partner at Lumeira Consulting, LLC