ISP Regional Coordinator at Virginia Information Technologies Agency
- Washington D.C. Metro Area
- Public Safety
Brian Crumpler's Overview
- ISP Regional Coordinator - Northern Virginia at Virginia Information Technologies Agency
- VCU Performance Management Group
- University of Oklahoma
Brian Crumpler's Skills & Expertise
- Emergency Management
- Program Management
- Spatial Analysis
- Data Analysis
- ArcGIS Server
- Spatial Databases
- Strategic Thinking
- Disaster Response
- Emergency Services
- Project Planning
- Geospatial Data
- Web Mapping
- Risk Assessment
- Public Safety
Brian Crumpler's Summary
To facilitate, integrate and transform the roles played by technology through enhanced interoperability, information sharing and integrated business processes, in order to strengthen the capabilities of professionals and our customers as we work together to promote the building of strong, sustainable and resilient communities.
• Identify and develop strong working networks with subject matter experts and customers in order to assess and improve business processes and facilitate improved communication.
• Research emerging technology, trends and methods from hazard subject matter experts in order to make use of these applications across a broad range of disciplines.
• Document inter-disciplinary communication gaps that exist from differing perspectives and utilize geospatial technologies as a means to help improve communication and collaboration.
• Promote an improved understanding and awareness of common hazards and challenges faced by colleagues across the country, and participate in a collaborative approach that searches for solutions to common challenges.
• Assessing business processes in order to formulate plans to enhance interoperability and flexibility required to support the dynamic environment of disaster response and recovery.
• Identifying dependencies and interdependencies between seemingly unrelated business processes.
• Researching and developing innovative methodologies that promote increase situational awareness and rapid impact assessment.
Brian Crumpler's Experience
ISP Regional Coordinator - Northern Virginia
Government Agency; 201-500 employees; Information Technology and Services industry
April 2013 – Present (1 year 6 months) Washington D.C. Metro Area
GIS Program Manager
Government Agency; 51-200 employees; Public Safety industry
June 2006 – April 2013 (6 years 11 months) Richmond, Virginia Area
• Coordinating, managing geospatial policies and procedures to develop and support a nationally recognized GIS program for emergency management including:
• Transforming the GIS program from a “map-making shop” to an essential structural component that facilitates the success of more than 50 program areas within the agency.
• Providing advice and input both to emergency management professionals and supporting contractors as the GIS subject matter expert for mission critical studies, models and simulations.
• Identifying geospatial requirements within existing laws, regulations and policies that have an impact on emergency management.
• Developing analytical procedures and methods that provide operational context and rapid response capabilities.
• Familiarizing myself with the goals and workflows of programs from all phases of emergency management (preparedness, response, recovery, mitigation) in order to assist in the identification of use cases for geospatial technology to support those programs
• Surveying and organizing more than 1,000 separate datasets in order to improve the quality and efficiency of geospatial analytics supporting the agency.
• Creating and managing the Mapping/GIS Unit within the Planning Section of the Virginia Emergency Response Team. Overseeing the creation of geospatial products to support decision making by senior leadership during and after natural disasters.
• Identifying customer requirements for geospatial services from basic map creation to complex analytical methods.
• Advocating for the development of geospatial tools and datasets by partner agencies to enhance collective resources and capabilities throughout the Commonwealth.
• Developing Geospatial Data Standards for use to support the Virginia GIS Clearinghouse Working Group
GIS Technician / Specialist
Government Agency; 1001-5000 employees; Government Administration industry
March 2004 – June 2006 (2 years 4 months) Norfolk, Virginia Area
• Stormwater Sewer Database Management – Improve the quality of the City’s storm water management GIS data layers by digitizing as-built diagrams, performing field GPS verification and identifying QA/QC gaps in contractor deliverables back to the city.
• Historical Aerial Photography - Scanned and manually georeferenced dozens of historical aerial photographs from 1937 and 1959 for incorporation into the city’s historical aerial imagery collection and ultimately for inclusion into the city’s ArcIMS website.
• Emergency Management GIS – Identified gaps and potential data analysis methodologies that could be used to support City Emergency Operations Center (EOC) augmentations and emergency planning projects.
GIS Technician / GIS Analyst
Public Company; 5001-10,000 employees; OKE; Oil & Energy industry
June 2002 – March 2004 (1 year 10 months) Oklahoma City, Oklahoma Area
• Quality Assurance / Quality Control – Verify the accuracy and integrity of the digitized gas distribution system. Perform QA/QC on digitized work of peers in order to verify the accuracy of corrections to the company historical CAD pipeline maps. Identify training gaps based on patterns in QA/QC errors. Increase the speed and accuracy of QA/QC by designing report by exception tools to highlight digitized pipe segments containing contained attributes which did not meet logical data consistency rules.
• Transmission Pipeline Data Assurance – Responsible for digitizing and field verifying the locations of high pressure and transmission pipelines in the ONG service territory throughout the state of Oklahoma. Verify the quality of transmission pipeline data prior to submission for inclusion in the National Pipeline Mapping System (NPMS).
Brian Crumpler's Education
VCU Performance Management Group
Commonwealth Management Institute
2008 – 2008
1996 – 2001
Brian Crumpler's Additional Information
- Groups and Associations:
Commonwealth Managers Association, Virtual USA, Multiple State and Regional GIS User Groups, Southeast Regional Operations Platform Pilot
- Honors and Awards:
2010 Council of State Governments Innovations Award
2010 Finalist - National Association of State Chief Information Officers Award for Information Communications Technology Innovations
2010 Center for Digital Government – Innovation in Technology
2010 Virginia Emergency Management Association Innovation and Technology Award
2009 International Association of Emergency Managers Technology and Innovation Award
2009 ESRI Special Achievement in GIS Award for Homeland Security
2009 Virginia Governor’s Technology Award for IT as an Efficiency Driver