Financial Advisor CFP®, CIMA® at Merrill Lynch Wealth Management
- Austin, Texas Area
- Financial Services
Bob DeWitt's Overview
- Financial Advisor CFP®, CIMA® at Merrill Lynch Wealth Management
Bob DeWitt's Experience
Financial Advisor CFP®, CIMA®
Public Company; 10,001+ employees; BAC; Financial Services industry
August 2010 – Present (4 years 2 months) Austin, Texas Area
I'm a Merrill Lynch financial advisor with an Austin-based wealth management team. We handle the financial matters for families and small businesses in the area.
We build unique portfolios that reflect the individual circumstances, time horizons and risk profile of our clients. Some are of course older, some are younger and some are more risk adverse. It is my responsibility to ensure that I understand exactly where are clients are at and that we build a portfolio that reflects their individual circumstances.
We believe in asset allocation and diversification. At the end of the day, it's not necessarily beating an index that matters most to our clients, but it's generating the necessary returns with minimal volatility that leads to the greatest emotional and financial satisfaction. We accomplish this by paying a tremendous amount of attention to two things:
1) The diversification and volatility of a portfolio. We diversify our exposure to asset classes to not necessarily improve returns but to minimize the downfall that can often lead clients astray.
2) We also pay a lot of attention to fees and taxes. These two elements can often have an enormous impact to a portfolio. We also believe in using a very transparent fee-based approach.
Financial planning is a core component of our practice. I'm a Certified Financial Planner (CFP®) a designation awarded by the Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards, and a Certified Investment Management Analyst (CIMA®) awarded by IMCA and taught by Wharton at the University of Pennsylvania. I'm also a Chartered Retirement Planning Counselor and Chartered Retirement Plan Specialist, both awarded from the College of Financial Planning.
As a CFP, I'm held to a much higher fiduciary standard than the normal advisor. I think this type of knowledge plus my experience is invaluable in allowing me to help our clients to reach their goals.
Privately Held; 1001-5000 employees; Food & Beverages industry
2004 – November 2009 (5 years) Austin, Texas Area
My wife Terrie and I owned and operated two It's A Grind Coffee House in Austin Texas (41st St and Red River, in the Hancock shopping Center). In 2009, we sold our business to Coffee Bean and Tea. Terrie ran the day-to-day business; I acted as the CFO while working full time.
Talk about an education. In my econ classes at UCSB, I'd study a business problem and write a paper. At Wharton, I'd study a business problem and run an analysis. At Dell, I'd study a business problem and we'd have a big meeting. At the coffee house, I'd study a business problem...and pull out my check book. Where do you think I learned the most? I now understand small business.
We were passionate about serving our clients the absolute best cup of coffee in town while providing them with smiles from our friendly baristas and a wonderful environment to either relax or work in. It was a great experience.
Vice President of Sales
Privately Held; 11-50 employees; Computer Software industry
2005 – 2008 (3 years)
Intelio is a leading provider of remote management software and hardware solutions for several vertical market industries. My key responsibilities included:
* Managing the sales team calling on OEM manufacturers, distributors and mulit-site end user customers.
* Developing and implementing the company's revised web strategy
* Helping to launch a new product line via our Taiwanese manufacturing partners.
Vice President, Business Development
Privately Held; 51-200 employees; Information Technology and Services industry
2002 – 2004 (2 years)
Bluecurrent provided technology deployment solutions to large corporate clients.
Our primary client was Dell, who utilized us to implement large technology deployments for their enterprise clients. My responsibilities were focused on growing the business. It included managing our sales organization and the proposal team. I was also an executive sponsor for many of our larger clients. It was a fast paced environment; during this period we significantly grew the business to complete over 60 large scale deployments and rollouts.
Public Company; 10,001+ employees; DELL; Information Technology and Services industry
1996 – 2002 (6 years)
Dell is a worldwide leader in computer hardware and software solutions.
For most of my Dell career, I was in business development, both as an individual contributor and as a manager. My primary responsibilities included targeting, competing and winning large enterprise accounts for Dell, and then integrating the Dell retention team and the required processes to deliver our proposed solution.
Some of my larger (multi-millon dollar) projects included Fluor, Sony Pictures, Transamerica, TCI, Montgomery Watson, Levi Strauss, Hughes Space and Com, Raytheon West Coast, Aristar/Washington Mutual, Farmers Insurance, Phillip Petroleum and Hallmark.
I was nationally recognized with several times including:
• ‘Top Win of the Year’, Dell Computer, Enterprise Segment
• ‘Tenacity’ Hunter Award, Dell Computer,
• Enterprise Hunter Award, Dell Computer,
In the later part of my career, I was promoted to Western Regional Acquisition Manager and managed a business development team covering the western third of the US.
Public Company; 10,001+ employees; AAPL; Consumer Electronics industry
1985 – 1996 (11 years)
Apple is a worldwide leader in computer hardware, software and services. My responsibilities increasingly grew over time and included:
• Designing & implementing student resale programs for the Cal State & Colorado universities (This is back when the Macintosh first came out)
• Developing and implementing marketing strategies with our large resellers and channel partners in So Cal. (Anybody remember Businessland and Computerland?)
• Managing the relationship with the west coast movie and music studios resulting in major alliance deals with Reprise/Warner Bros Records and DreamWorks.
While serving in these roles, I was recognized on a national level several times:
• Market Development Manager of the Year
• Business AE of the Year, Southwest Region
• Higher Education AE of the Year, West Region
• Awarded a Gold Record from Warner/Reprise Records for chaperoning an all-Macintosh partnership
Bob DeWitt's Skills & Expertise
- Process Improvement
- Lead Generation
- New Business Development
- Employee Benefits
- Marketing Communications
- Social Media
- Customer Service
- Team Building
- Strategic Planning
- Sales Management
- Financial Services
- Public Speaking
- Enterprise Software
- Marketing Strategy
- Business Strategy
- Social Media Marketing
- Small Business
- Business Development
- Business Alliances
- Sales Operations
- Business Planning
- Email Marketing
- Project Management
- Product Development
- Channel Partners
- Managed Services
- Proposal Writing
- Business Process
- Program Management
Bob DeWitt's Certifications
Certified Financial Planner
- Certified Financial Board of Standards, Inc
Certified Investment Management Analyst
- IMCA, in conjunction with the Wharton School of Business
Bob DeWitt's Education
Bob DeWitt's Additional Information
I've always believed in working hard and playing hard. Over the past 20 years, I've competed in various ultra endurance sports including finishing 14 Ironman triathlons and 5 fifty mile running races, among other crazy adventures. I've done the Hawaian Ironman twice. This life style has given my wife and I the chance to travel the world on our 'racing vacations' and meet some wonderful people. We also enjoy a fun round of golf everywhere and anywhere. Outside of work, I'm a board member for the Austin Chamber Music Association, on the advisory committee at River Place Country Club, a meal driver for Meals on Wheels and a fundraiser for the Paralyzed Veterans of America.
View Bob DeWitt’s full profile to...
- See who you and Bob DeWitt know in common
- Get introduced to Bob DeWitt
- Contact Bob DeWitt directly