Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment
Senior Research Analyst (Labour Market & Business Performance)
Senior Research Analyst, Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment
|Recommendations||4 people have recommended Ben|
Join LinkedIn & access Ben's full profile
Senior Research Analyst (Labour Market & Business Performance)
Research and analysis are a passion of mine. I have used these skills to write extensively on the labour market, economics, organisation and society, producing reports and other publications for government agencies, industry training organisations and professional bodies.
I am also an experienced manager, managing in small and large organisations - this helps give me an informed perspective on organisational change and the systems that work to help people and organisations realise their potential.
In addition, I am a passionate advocate and user of the Internet. I have developed or contributed to many websites over the years, including the former Labour Market website and Careers NZ websites. Today I use existing online platforms to rapidly and freely develop websites for my own pet projects, including OUR SYSTEM (www.oursystem.info), which I use to disseminate my thoughts on economics and organisation (when I get time).
Specialties: Research & Analysis, Policy, Management, Economics, Organisation, Whole System Thinking, Strategy & Planning, Communications, Web Presence & Social Media.
Analysing and interpreting economic, organisational and social information to develop a dynamic picture of the labour market. Responsibilities include:
• Developing the Occupation Dashboard
• Contributing to the Regional Economic Activity Report 2014
• Managing development of the 2014 Occupation Outlook publication and app
• Acting manager as required
• Maintaining and analysing data in the Detailed Employment Estimates model
• Contributing to the development of new Occupation Outlook reports
• Producing regional labour market analysis
• Leading production of the Quarterly Labour Market Report
Providing research and analysis, information and advice, on economic, organisational and social issues, using a whole-system perspective to create positive change.
• Researched and wrote The Common Purpose Manifesto
• Discussing, speaking and writing on issues relating to economic and organisational development
• Blogging, tweeting and posting on issues relevant to our system
• Developing the OUR SYSTEM Institute
• Raising my daughter Lucia ('lew-sha'), now aged 8 years
Managed the Web, Design and Public Information teams through the transition from the Department of Labour to the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment.
• Communicated with management and staff to coordinate key web, design and public information projects
• Developed social media strategies and processes for maintaining accounts
• Maintained and developed report and update processes
• Developed performance plans
• Managed Web, Design and Public Information budgets
• Delegated tasks and responsibilities
• Built internal and external relationships
Analysed and interpreted economic, organisational and social information to develop a dynamic picture of the labour market.
• Maintained and documented the Detailed Employment Estimates model
• Manipulated O*NET & ANZSCO in SAS to examine skills in the labour market
• Produced the Emerging Occupations & Skills Feasibility Report
• Developed the Labour Market Trends & Outlook Report
• Reported on Household Labour Force Survey results
• Managed the DOL and Careers NZ relationship
• Explored and developed ideas for online delivery of labour market information via websites, social media and infographics
Provided business and policy advice on the outputs and processes of Senior Services, which administers the Community Services Card, War Pension Services and International Pensions.
• Developed policy advice on the Gold Card (New Zealand's seniors card)
• Reported on privacy breaches to the Privacy Commission
• Assisted in system redevelopment in the War Pension Services contact centre
Established and managed the Legal Research, Information Management and Knowledge Management teams providing information support services for health & safety, mediation and labour inspectors.
• Recruited management and other key staff
• Led planning days, performance reviews and other management functions
• Co-ordinated support for the Worklnfo work management system and the RightNow online customer relationship management system
Provided career product advice, labour market analysis and forecasting services to local and international organisations, and developed the Labour Market website.
• Advised the Thai government on their delivery of career services across Thailand (my focus: occupational classifications, skills inventories and micro-enterprises)
• Performed qualitative research and analysis on various industry sectors for Industry Training Organisations
• Developed labour market forecasts for occupational employment requirements in various industry sectors
• Researched regional occupation and industry labour market information for Career Services
• Developed the Labour Market database and website which provided statistical labour market information on detailed occupations and industries to all New Zealanders
Managed the development, marketing and sales of all Career Service’s (now Careers New Zealand) commercial career resources.
• Led development and release of New Zealand’s version of The Real Game
• Led redevelopment and launch of the new CareerQuest software tool
• Led redevelopment of the new Options Kit
• Trained and spoke on career products to audiences across New Zealand
Led the process to develop labour market outlooks for industries and occupations on the KiwiCareers website.
• Developed the process and format for labour market outlook research and development
• Instituted, co-ordinated and supported the labour market outlook research of the media development team
• Managed the commission of quantitative occupational forecast data from BERL and the general equilibrium model
Researched and wrote occupational and labour market information for Career Services’ KiwiCareers website and other products.
• Interviewed and photographed persons in different occupations and locations across New Zealand to research and write occupational and industry information and develop personal profiles
• Liaised with industry training organisations, educational institutions, firms, professional bodies and government departments to facilitate occupation and industry research
• Led integration of labour market statistics into the KiwiCareers website
• Observed and reported on focus groups of Kiwicareers users
• Presented seminars and workshops on Kiwicareers across New Zealand
• Wrote the Employment Trends section of the Kiwicareers website
• Developed career products, including the Parents As Career Educators (PACE) resource
Analysed demographic trends in general practitioners across New Zealand.
Analysed and coded survey results and developed reports.
• Developed an Access database to facilitate production of the Ethnic Calendar
• Coded Maori Responsiveness Survey results into SAS and analysed results
Grotte du Lazaret, Nice, France – dug and processed finds at this famous prehistoric site.
Priory, Wales – worked on remains of early priory on the west coast of Wales.
Implemented a computer-based photographic library filing system.
Course in website design and development, from conception to launch.
Over 300 million professionals are already on LinkedIn. Find who you know.
General Manager, Research, Evaluation and Analysis at Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment
Principal Research Analyst at Ministry of Business Innovation & Employment (MBIE)
Senior Research Analyst , dealing with topics relating to employment relations, health /safety & skills.
Research Manager, ACC Governance, Policy & Research at ACC
Principal Analyst, Research and Evaluation
Senior Analyst at Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment
Associate Director of Sales and Business Support at TSYS
Greater Omaha Area
Vice President of Marketing at Datatrend Technologies
Greater Minneapolis-St. Paul Area
EVP Operations & Technology at Orrstown Bank
Baltimore, Maryland Area
Executive Director, Mergers & Acquisitions at J.P. Morgan
Greater New York City Area
VP Marketing at Depict Inc.
San Francisco Bay Area