I write code
|Recommendations||11 people have recommended Anupom|
Join LinkedIn & access Anupom's full profile
I am a Software Development Lead, a hands on Software Architect and a Passionate Polyglot Programmer. I currently work at Disney Interactive as a Development Lead where I get to make large scale back-end systems for massively popular Disney games.
I am an expert in building highly scalable servers with Java/Ruby frameworks in conjunction with SQL/NoSQL database solutions. I’ve experience in designing distributed systems using Service Oriented Architecture and developing RESTful APIs serving millions of users.
I love to architect top notch high quality applications. I take joy and pride in building and shipping software products. As a professional I am highly focused, pragmatic and result oriented.
Led development of different highly scalable ( > 8 Million DAU) online games for different social and mobile platforms such as iPhone , Android and Facebook. Worked as a Development Lead in many successful projects for the company such as “Star Wars Commander” and other Marvel/Disney titles. Designed and modiﬁed new and existing system architectures for high scalable solutions. Developed practical solutions for critical problems like designing cheap, fast and deterministic algorithms for game AI and gameplay etc.
* As a Dev Lead I was responsible for Game AI and Battle Replay sub-systems in Star Wars Commander. Both of these features are very core part of the game. Star Wars Commander was featured by Apple and was in Top 3 free mobile apps, Top 10 grossing and was on the top of the list in Games category in Apple’s app center.
* Designed high performance and low memory footprint algorithms for Artificial Intelligence simulation and critical gameplay problems like pathfinding for variable sized entities, multi-dimensional weight based targeting and state machine based entity simulation. All these algorithms are deterministic in nature for flawless playback support.
* Designed and implemented a Spatial Indexing based multi-dimensional data structure to enable high performance in memory search.
* Implemented an Entity Component System (ECS) based architecture on top of Unity Game engine. This architecture helped to keep logic decoupled, reuse code extensively and easily extend core functionality. Also developed a light-weight application level system scheduling (green thread scheduling) mechanism on top of it to achieve high frame rate in low end devices.
* Architected entire Data Access Layer for Project Gangstown to attain high scalability and performance using Unit of Work pattern. Reduced round trip response time to average 0.2 seconds from 10 seconds for 200 request per second per server. Designed and implemented the whole solution in two weeks in a project that was feature complete but failed badly in load test.
* Reduced internal cloud database usage (built on top of MongoDB) by caching documents and their states in local memory throughout a request, using Memcache as Level 2 cache for reads and applying partial updates to the cloud. Changes for partial updates were calculated by finding difference between before and after states for all documents for a request. After the implementation 90% of reads were coming from memcache and maximum 1 cloud write per document per request was made. This resulted in around 75% reduction in number of cloud transactions per second and almost 90% reduction in cloud data transfer.
* Architected and implemented a high performance Message Queue using Memcache and PHP for Mobile and Facebook push notification systems. It can work with multiple producers and a single consumer. The enqueue method is atomic and so multiple processes can concurrently push elements without any disruption. Performance test yielded around 2200 operations per second with 10 concurrent processes enqueueing 256 byte documents with a single memcache server.
* Designed a matchmaking algorithm to match a player with potential similar level random attackees for Player vs Player attacks. Finding random records from MongoDB was not trivial, paging with large random offsets is very expensive and could result in crashes. This algorithm does it efficiently with a very low footprint.
Helped in the development of The Scratch Online Community (http://scratch.mit.edu) - an open
source social media site for Scratch contributors. Modified the architecture and optimized codes to accommodate more users with same set of hardwares. Also developed many new features for the site.
* Scaled up the website using Memcache to support twice as more users.
Designed and developed a Notification System that would notify users when their projects get liked, commented, shared, remixed or their friends upload projects etc.
* Helped the Scratch team to run different A/B tests, accumulate results and generate report for research purposes.
* Rewrote a code analysis function in PHP that evaluates projects uploaded by users written in Scratch to fetch different coding attributes like usage of different coding blocks, number of sprites, project’s remix history etc. The earlier implementation was unreliable and slow. Used that data to generate reports and remix trees.
Led and managed development teams spread across the world and built different social
applications and games for different platforms including Web, iPhone and Facebook. I was the
ﬁrst engineer at Trippert. I helped to grow the team to around 40 people, established processes
to manage globally distributed teams and assisted in creating a culture for a fast paced and
exciting work environment. Played many different roles along the way from engineering management to business operations involving variety of job duties such as helping recruiting, managing accounts, searching for and setting up new offices, mentoring new developers and designing and developing engineering solutions. I helped Trippert to set up an office in Bangladesh and build up a workforce there that can tackle the hardest engineering challenges. Disney owned that workforce after acquisition.
Coauthored the book “CakePHP Application Development” (https://www.packtpub.com/ cakephpapplicationdevelopment/book). The book provides a stepbystep introduction to
rapid web development using the opensource MVC CakePHP framework. This book was the first internationally published book in English on the CakePHP Framework.
Led the development of a travel based blogging platform named Trippert (http://www.trippert.com).
Involved in the development of the first version of LanDev - an online ERP solution for urban land development companies.
Developed applications for handheld devices using JavaME and Symbian. Led the development of BanglaSMS (http://banglasms.org.bd/) a popular localized application for texting in Bangla. The code is now open sourced and can be found here https://github.com/anupom/banglasms
Cake is a rapid development framework for PHP that uses well-known design patterns and provides a structured framework that enables PHP users at all levels to rapidly develop robust web applications, without any loss of flexibility. It means you can code faster, your code is better, and it makes writing Web 2.0-style apps a snap.
This book offers step-by-step instructions to learn the CakePHP framework and to quickly develop and deploy web-based applications. It introduces the MVC pattern and coding styles using practical examples. It takes the developer through setting up a CakePHP development and deployment environment, and develops an example application to illustrate all of the techniques you need to write a complete, non-trivial application in PHP. It aims to assist PHP programmers to rapidly develop and deploy well-crafted and robust web-based applications with CakePHP.
A step-by-step introduction to rapid web development using the open-source MVC CakePHP framework.
Over 300 million professionals are already on LinkedIn. Find who you know.