Director of Data Science and Analytics group at Bonneville Communications
- Greater Salt Lake City Area
- Marketing and Advertising
Ammon Fife's Overview
Ammon Fife's Summary
Entrepreneurial Spirit: Always looking for a way to improve the world-- profitably.
Disarming sense of humor: Quick wit, slightly dry, but very frequent.
Ammon Fife's Experience
Director of Data Science and Analytics Group
Privately Held; 11-50 employees; Marketing and Advertising industry
July 2012 – Present (2 years 3 months) greater salt lake city area
I lead the Data Science and Analytics Group at Bonneville Communications.
Main client is the Mormon Church (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints)
Adjunct Economics Faculty
Educational Institution; 1001-5000 employees; Higher Education industry
2010 – Present (4 years)
• Taught pilot online courses in undergraduate microeconomics and managerial accounting.
• Helped develop online curriculum
• Currently teach classes 100% online.
Manager, Analytics and Insights, Social Media Group
Privately Held; 201-500 employees; Public Relations and Communications industry
March 2011 – June 2012 (1 year 4 months) Austin, Texas Area
Helped the world’s top companies make better decisions by helping them understand what the data is saying, and what they need to do about it.
Clients included Intel, HP, SAP, Rackspace, P&G, Hershey, Pfizer, Sanofi, ...
Analyzed data from hundreds of unstructured data sources.
Developed strategy and helped clients execute plans.
Social Media listening/trends
Social Media benchmarking/ranking
Ad Hoc analysis
Trained others in the firm in advanced Excel/VBA modeling techniques
Had lots of fun!
Privately Held; 1-10 employees; Investment Banking industry
2009 – March 2011 (2 years)
• As a social entrepreneur I created Project Segue to help fix the student labor market in rural college communities where bright college students compete for unskilled low pay jobs. I developed an outsourcing model to source skilled projects from high labor-rate areas to rural college low-labor rate areas. I also started a student temporary staffing company to get college students working with local and regional companies.
• During the same time, I helped start Snake River Print Solutions LLC, which uses rules based software to minimize printing costs, the company also services and maintains printer fleets. I managed all of the financial and technical (software) aspects of the company.
Jr. Division Controller/Sr. Financial Analyst – Ecolab EMEA, Zurich Switzerland
Public Company; 10,001+ employees; ECL; Chemicals industry
2009 – 2009 (less than a year)
– Helped a Fortune 500 company develop insights and ideas for improvement over a 24 country region.
• Worked 20 hours a week during my MBA, and full time afterwards until my student visa expired.
• Built a new Excel based system to dramatically reduce the time it took to create the annual plan and budget.
• Connected monthly excel reports directly into Hyperion database to allow detailed view of results in real time.
• Summarized financial reports, identified reasons for changes, and suggested actions for improvement to general manager
• Worked with senior managers from marketing, supply chain, finance, and treasury in many different countries.
• Analyzed how exchange rate fluctuations affected costs, sales, and inventories.
• Built bridges so that data from inconsistent country databases and reporting systems could be compared.
Manager of Financial and Operations Analysis
Privately Held; 51-200 employees; Cosmetics industry
2007 – 2008 (1 year)
– Helped turn around a struggling small company by improving overall profitability, cost visibility, and efficiency.
Increased profitability from break-even to 15% by analyzing and implementing pricing changes across our portfolio.
Reengineered and automated quoting process, created planning/budget process, and built real-time profitability reporting system.
Initiated transition towards using activity-based costing and increased company understanding of cost drivers.
Led effort to change bonus structures to better encourage profitable activities.
Privately Held; 1001-5000 employees; Health, Wellness and Fitness industry
2006 – 2007 (1 year)
– Helped a mid-sized multinational company become more efficient, focused, and profitable.
Saved over 2 million annually in labor-related costs by making our call centers more efficient.
Maintained financial database and created new real-time company-wide budgeting and reporting systems which improved forecasts, saved weeks of budgeting time, and decreased errors.
Oversaw budget reviews for IT departments and business development departments.
Assisted in identifying, analyzing, and implementing customer retention initiatives.
Analyzed proposed projects and acquisitions to ascertain if they were financially justified.
Taught colleagues how to use advanced Excel functions and VBA programming to improve the quality of their analysis and to automate time-consuming tasks.
Privately Held; 51-200 employees; Oil & Energy industry
2006 – 2006 (less than a year)
– Worked with executive team to prepare the startup for its IPO on the Alternative Investments Market of the London Stock Exchange.
Constructed 5 year pro-forma financial models of all the company’s operations including over 100 planned LLC subsidiaries and partnerships.
Prepared pro-forma statements of operations, balance sheets, and stockholder equity for company IPO documents.
Helped write business plan for company’s joint venture with a Polish energy company.
Led committee to evaluate and recommend changes in company structure and company communications.
Helped determine what areas of our supply-chain could be outsourced.
Ammon Fife's Honors and Awards
Eagle Scout AwardBoy Scouts of America
Vigil HonorOrder of the Arrow
Founders AwardOrder of the Arrow
Ammon Fife's Skills & Expertise
- Data Analysis
- Microsoft Excel
- Big Data
- Public Speaking
- Public Relations
- Pivot Tables
- Google API
- Link Analysis
- Data Mining
- Economic Research
- Visual Basic
- University Teaching
- Fortune 500
- Financial Analysis
- Financial Modeling
- Computer Hacking
- Social Media
- Web Analytics
- Business Development
- Digital Marketing
Ammon Fife's Education
University of St. Gallen
BS Economics, Economics, Informations Systems, Business Mgt.
Activities and Societies: • Student Body President • Director of New Student Orientation • Director of Honor Outreach • Member of Economics Club, • Newell K. Whitney Society • Leadership Institute • Spoke at graduation, Inauguration, all faculty/employee meetings and many other occasions.
Recreation and Youth Management
Ammon Fife's Organizations
BYU Management SocietyBoard Member
Digital Analytics Association
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Order of the ArrowSection Chief, Lodge Chief
Newell K. Whitney Society
Ammon Fife's Volunteer Experience & Causes
Causes I care about:
- Arts and Culture
- Civil Rights and Social Action
- Disaster and Humanitarian Relief
- Economic Empowerment
- Human Rights
- Science and Technology
Organizations I support:
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Boy Scouts of America
Ammon Fife's Languages
English(Native or bilingual proficiency)
Piglatin(Professional working proficiency)
Ammon Fife's Additional Information
- Groups and Associations:
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon), Boy Scouts of America, Order of the Arrow, BYU Management Society, Newell K. Whitney Society, Cedar Badge Staff Alumni, Wood Badge Bear & Staff
- Honors and Awards:
Boy Scouts of America: Eagle Scout Award, Founders Award, Vigil Honor.
Contact Ammon for:
- career opportunities
- consulting offers
- new ventures
- job inquiries
- expertise requests
- business deals
- reference requests
- getting back in touch
View Ammon Fife’s full profile to...
- See who you and Ammon Fife know in common
- Get introduced to Ammon Fife
- Contact Ammon Fife directly