User Interface Designer at Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers + Freelance Designer
- Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada (Vancouver, Canada Area)
Ally Noormohamed's Overview
- User Interface Designer at Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers
- Freelance Designer at Self Employed
- Technologist at Adara Systems Ltd
Ally Noormohamed's Summary
I have been crafting digital experiences since 2006. Today I work as the Lead UI/UX Designer at Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers. One of my many responsibilities is to design, evolve and maintain the usability of digital products from websites, website applications to internal tools for desktop, kiosk, television, tablet, and mobile devices.
My primary responsibility is to design for our responsive B2B/B2C ecommerce website: rbauction.com. I work with the research team to improve and iterate on designs using agile surveys and analytics. I combine this data with customer feedback, personas and guerrilla research tactics to validate solutions.
Storyboards, sketches, interactive wireframe prototypes and visual mockups are some of the methods I use to communicate design ideas and solutions. I work with the design team to craft the information architecture and interactions of every solution. I have created style guides and visual artifacts to establish design standards and align our branding across multiple digital properties.
My excellent interpersonal, communication and leadership skills help me to effectively collaborate with marketing strategists, business analysts, systems analysts, department leaders, front-end engineers and partner services to ensure consistency across all design phases and business strategy.
Freelancing has helped to further develop my creative abilities by building elegant user-centric experiences. I merge innovation with modern design methodologies and technologies to craft every client solution. Continuous learning through local meetup groups, web conferences and online sources helps me elevate every new project. Most of all continue to evolve as a senior design professional.
UI Design, Responsive Design, Visual Design, Wireframing, Planning, Information Gathering, Design Workshops and Strategy
Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, HTML5/CSS3, Sass, Axure, Microsoft Visio, Microsoft Office, Windows and Mac
Ally Noormohamed's Experience
User Interface Designer
Public Company; 1001-5000 employees; RBA; Machinery industry
January 2007 – Present (7 years 9 months) Burnaby, BC
• Combining customer data and user testing to validate and build experiences
• Solving problems with the design team to create effortless user-centric experiences across devices
• Documenting interaction and user flows
• Defining information architecture and content structures
• Transforming high-level vision and complex requirements into UI
• Communicating design solutions using storyboards, sketches, interactive wireframe prototypes and mockups
• Creating visual guidelines and artifacts such as iconography and pattern libraries
• Presenting design direction/decisions to stakeholders, project managers and development team
• Leading and facilitating design brainstorming and work sessions
• Working with the development team to ensure correct implementation of designs
• Working with and aiding the art director to ensure the visual design of digital properties is reflective of and additive to the brand strategy
• Developing project strategy in conjunction with business teams
• Leading and coaching junior digital designers.
Adara Systems Ltd
January 2000 – January 2005 (5 years 1 month) Richmond, BC
• Designed and built website to promote product sales and support
• Assisted engineers with product design and development
• Provided support to end users and tested new technologies for product enhancements
• Designed and constructed specialized enclosures for geotechnical hardware
• Installed, tested and maintained portable geotechnical hardware on vehicles for field work
Ally Noormohamed's Volunteer Experience & Causes
Causes I care about:
- Animal Welfare
- Science and Technology
Ally Noormohamed's Certifications
Persuasive Psychology for Interactive Design
- April 2014 to April 2014
Ally Noormohamed's Projects
- January 2007 to Present
UI design lead for rbauction.com and Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers digital properties. Retrofitted for responsive design to provide a richer mobile experience for users. This meant we had to move away from our mobile site developed for predated usage patterns.
The best approach would have been to start from the ground up but we had recently redesigned our site which involved substantial time, money and resources. It would have been challenging to convince our leadership team that we had to start again. We had to find an alternative because our contract with our mobile vendor was soon expiring. We decided to retrofit our desktop site to create an optimized experience across multiple devices.
Retrofitting a desktop site is not the ideal solution but not only did it deliver an optimized experience for our users, we gained a competitive advantage in our online marketplace without breaking the bank.
- November 2012 to Present
Single page responsive design for a group of local Vancouver web developers who organize monthly events. Saturhack is a weekend gathering of web designers and developers looking for a collaborative atmosphere to work on their projects. Its a space to share ideas and learn from other professionals. Its the equivalent of a meetup group without a topic or speaker.
- 2012 to Present
UI design lead for project. Worked with HR and marketing teams to design the portal. The experience focuses on the Ritchie Bros. core values and provides an immersive experience into the company culture, diversity of people and career opportunities.
- October 2013 to December 2013
The objective of the project was to modernize the brand experience and differientiate the business from other competitors in the used car marketplace. We accomplished this by infusing consistency and Cavlin's essence as a superior business owner within the brand identity and designing a digitial experience that supersedes the competition. Additional design deliverables included a new logo and business cards. Budget and time constraints prevented the build of a responsive experience but the design process and approach accounted for a scalable solution.
- October 2013 to December 2013
I collaborated with Flynn O'Connor, lead developer for Forge and Smith to design and build a responsive WordPress theme. It is designed primarily for editorial content. The foundation of the theme is based on a combination of composition and typography to enhance the reading experience across devices. We will continue to refine its usability based on user feedback and advancements in WordPress technology.
Ally Noormohamed's Publications
Ally Noormohamed's Skills & Expertise
- Web Design
- Graphic Design
- HTML 5
- User Experience
- Multi Tasking
- Communication Skills
- Interpersonal Communication Abilities
- Mobile Design
- Creative Direction
- User Interface Design
Ally Noormohamed's Education
Certificate with Distinction, Applied Web Development
2005 – 2010
Program teaches best practices and tools used for the specification, design, and setup of web pages and web sites including business processes and communicate requirements, before proceeding with development.
Diploma, Electronics Engineering - Telecommunications Technology
1997 – 1999
Program teaches the principles required to design, develop, manufacture, and test telecommunication systems and networks.
Ally Noormohamed's Additional Information
Contact Ally for:
- career opportunities
- consulting offers
- new ventures
- job inquiries
- expertise requests
- business deals
- reference requests
- getting back in touch
View Ally Noormohamed’s full profile to...
- See who you and Ally Noormohamed know in common
- Get introduced to Ally Noormohamed
- Contact Ally Noormohamed directly