Maturity Models in Project Management
There are two major points of view for evaluating maturity in projectized organization. The first approach evaluates maturity of organization project management and the second one is dedicated to evaluate a single project. An organizational model intends to compare capabilities of your organization with a predefined idealistic organization model and best practices, then at the result, reveal the areas of weakness and opportunities of your organization. These models focus on your process and procedures and generally classified your organization in one of its levels.
A projectise model compare a single project with a model and concludes a report in alignment with the achievement of project goals. Most of this kind of models use for evaluating a project in award ceremonies and don’t show the level of maturity in your organization and route of improvement.
Some of most famous of them is listed below
1. OPM3 (Organizational Project Management Maturity Model) - has 4 levels of maturity in Portfolio, Program and project levels. The concept of OPM3 is based on the idea that there is a correlation between an organization’s capabilities in Project Management, Program Management, and Portfolio Management, And its effectiveness in implementing strategy (Standardize, Measure, Control and Improve)
2. Kerzner Model (Project Management Maturity Model)-has 5 levels(Common language, Common Process, Singular Methodology, Benchmarking and Continues improvement)
3. Wysocki Model-has 5 levels(Initial Process, Structured process, Institutional Process, Managed Process and Optimizing process)
4. Traditional Model- has 5 levels (Initial, Repeatable, Defined, Managed and Optimized)
5. Prince 2 Model –has 3 levels
6. CMMI(SEI) Model –Has 5 levels (Initial, Managed, Defined ,Quantitatively Managed and Optimizing)
7. Ronald Garies Model
Project Evaluation Models:
4. Project Health Check
Undoubtedly you know some other models which are not listed here.Please furnish me with your comments about this post and share your knowledge with others.